The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Nigerian bucks in a fairly large lot but shares a common fence boundary with the does. problem with this no matter what I do they will always be able to see one another and its causing them not to eat very much and I am concerned about their physical condition. is there anything that can be done or is this something that most people deal with and no big deal?

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Mine are always in sight and sound of each other, as my farm is only 1.3 acres. They are not close enough to breed through a fence, but are completely within sight and sound of each other spring, summer and early fall. Once the weather gets cooler, they are brought into the barn and put into stalls. The stalls surround the milk stand and the doe pens. They can see and flirt with the does but a solid wall prevents breeding.

The boys do lose weight during rut, so I make sure they are a bit heavier coming into fall rut, so the loss isn't that dramatic.

My Niegrian bucks don't lose much weight. The worst one is my big older Lamancha. In the past, he has lost enough condition so that he became sterile. Being around the does inside the barn helped calm him down so he would eat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts