nigerian buck pen qustion

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by CHARLES GREER, Jul 31, 2020.

1. CHARLES GREER

CHARLES GREER Member

Aug 6, 2018
    I have two Nigerian bucks in a fairly large lot but shares a common fence boundary with the does. problem with this no matter what I do they will always be able to see one another and its causing them not to eat very much and I am concerned about their physical condition. is there anything that can be done or is this something that most people deal with and no big deal?

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    They can also mate through fences and that’s a problem. Pallets or something not see-through needs to be put up.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It can be a big deal if they lose too much weight.

4. CHARLES GREER

CHARLES GREER Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Does most people have their buck pen out of sight and sound of their does?

5. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Mine are always in sight and sound of each other, as my farm is only 1.3 acres. They are not close enough to breed through a fence, but are completely within sight and sound of each other spring, summer and early fall. Once the weather gets cooler, they are brought into the barn and put into stalls. The stalls surround the milk stand and the doe pens. They can see and flirt with the does but a solid wall prevents breeding.

The boys do lose weight during rut, so I make sure they are a bit heavier coming into fall rut, so the loss isn't that dramatic.

My Niegrian bucks don't lose much weight. The worst one is my big older Lamancha. In the past, he has lost enough condition so that he became sterile. Being around the does inside the barn helped calm him down so he would eat.