Nigerian Dwarf and Pygmy Goat Educational Information.....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HollowbeadRanch, Jan 17, 2008.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Since I have more pages for my website now I have decided to add a couple of pages with facts and information on Nigerian Dwarfs and Pygmy goats. ALOT of people around here that contact me about the goats don't know anything about them and are always asking questions about their differences and such. Very few people in this area have ever even heard of Nigerian Dwarf goats, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to add informational pages to my website so that my buyers or even browsers can be better informed. I am going to be working on these pages tonight, so I will be posting the information on here so that everyone can tell me what they think of it and offer and suggestions or additions to it before I place it on my website. So, to go ahead and get things started if anyone has any tips, hints, or advice on these two breeds that you think would be good to include then I would really appreciate you posting it on here so I can add it.

Thanks, and I can't wait to start working on this tonight!!! I will also be separating my Does page into two different pages (Nigerian Dwarf Does and Pygmy Does)!!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh boy where does one start?

For sure you want to mention that both orginated in africa but are two separate breeds.

Pygmies being the smallest of the meat breeds and Nigerians being the smallest of the dairy breeds.

Nigerians are more on the lean side. You can see more of their hip bones and their ribs are easier to feel when petting. Their necks tend to be longer. The color variations of nigerians are vast and there is not one color that is unacceptable.

Pgymies are more stout wider between the legs. Their bellies are round and their hooves are larger then the dwarfs. Thier faces are wider as well. Color is more specific. You have your gray and brown agouti colors (varying in from light to dark), carmel (from light/white to dark/red) with black dorsal stripe and black legs. A "belly band" aka white band around the middle is acceptable, it maybe a full or partial.

3. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Yes, all of that will definitely have to be added. I am working on typing up everything that I can think of right now and then I will post it on here for tweeking :greengrin:

Also, does anyone have any pictures of the color variations in Pygmies that they wouldn't mind me using on my website to show examples??

I have a few pictures of my own goats that I will use for examples, but I still need a few more. I didn't figure that the registries would like me using their pictures on my website, so I am trying to come up with my own.

4. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Ok, I am starting things up... now I need to think of a good title for the page. Maybe "Goat Breed Information" or "Mini Goats 411".... it needs to say goat(s) in it because I have other animals on my website and it can't be mroe than 24 characters long.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well you can use Misty and Flicka for pygmy goat colors as well as Destiny.

Misty has the partial belly band and Destiny is a brown agouti.

Flicka is dark gray agouti.

Let me know if you want to use them and I can e-mail you good pictures of them

6. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Here is a basic rough draft. I have the link hidden on my website so here is the link:
    http://www.hollowbeadranch.com/goatbreedinformation.htm
    I won't make it visible until I have it exactly the way it needs to be.

Let me know what you think! Anything to add?

Yes Stacey, I would like to use Destiny if you don't mind. I don't have a brown agouti pic to use, but I do have a dark grey and a partial belly band. Thank you!

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the "Black w/ Brown Markings and Blue-Eyes" is actually Sundgau. Here is a link to nigerian dwarf genetics

http://members.cox.net/foxcroft/genetics.htm

I am alittle confused with how you set up the

I have never heard that before, where did you read that?

Also you picture of light carmel is not correct I don't believe, he doesn't have black legs.

I think you need a larger spacing between pictures because I was getting confused over which descriptions went with which pictures. I was reading the words above the picture to be the discribing words while you have it set to be below the picture. I just think you need a few enters so that the words and pictures are more grouped together and it isn't confusing.

8. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thank you, I will change that one the Nigi and take a look at that page... I had been meaning to ask you where to find it :greengrin:

I found that information on the NPGA website. Here is the link: http://www.npga-pygmy.com/resources/con ... _chart.asp

And here is the link for the color patterns with pictures: http://www.npga-pygmy.com/resources/con ... amples.asp

Yes, you are right about the Medium Caramel. I hadn't even paid any attention to his legs. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will be changing that this evening and adding space between the pictures.

Do you think I should leave the setup the way it is? Or maybe have a link in the Color Chart section for another page with the picture examples?

Did you send me a pic of Destiny? My computer has been rejecting some emails so I am trying to get that fixed. I just wanted to make sure it hadn't rejected yours.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes I have seen that on the NPGA I guess I never noticed that they had a stripe down the fronts of the legs that breaks up the black.

I like the set up - I just think the spaces would help you know which description went with which pictures.

I like the pictures with the descriptions ect.

NO I didn't send you a picture - will get right on that, sorry

10. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    Im not really sure what colors I have but you can look at my website (http://www.FinePygmyPals.com) and see if you want to use one of my does (or bucks) for color. Those pics are a bit old so just let me know which ones you want (if any) and I will give you an updated pic.

11. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thank you both for the advice. I hope to get to work on the page a little more tonight.

CJPUP- if you don't mind I would love to have a picture of Cinnabon, Beep Beep, and Ronald to go on the page!

12. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Ok, I have added some spaces and deleted the picture that was labeled incorrectly, so please take a look and let me know what you think. Does it need more spaces between the pictures?