The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone know what is an approximate daily dry matter consumption of Nigerian Dwarf goats? I'm switching to a different mineral and it says to use 1 oz per 5 pounds of dry matter intake per day, so I need to have an idea of how much my goats are eating each day but it's hard to tell because I used a large wooden frame hayrack that I built and I feed hay free choice out of that all winter and I have 8 does feeding out of it. I've heard anywhere from 3 to 5% of their body weight?? I suppose I could empty the hayrack, then weigh out 100 pounds of hay using a bathroom scale and fill the feeder to see how long it takes to empty and calculate an approximate daily intake that way. But the other variable is that they waste so much hay that I would have to guess at it really.

·
Registered
842 Posts
We leave our minerals out free choice. I’ve not weighed how much hay we’re feeding but for 16 Nigerian dwarfs it’s about 1 bale grass hay per day (bales approx 50#).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why are you worrying about the amount of mineral? Don't you put it out free choice?
I want to make sure they are getting enough. It says on the instructions that they should consume about 1 oz. of the mineral per 5 pounds of dry matter feed intake per day and they don't seem to be consuming that much of the new mineral. I put out more of it fresh everyday and mix it with alfalfa meal and I'm concerned they aren't getting consuming enough. There is always a lot left in the containers that they don't consume everyday. The last 4 years I've been using fir meadow herbal mineral/vitamins and mix it with alfalfa meal and they would always gobbled that mixture up as fast as they could. This mineral is new to them and they don't consume much even when I mix it with alfalfa meal. Here's what I just started using this past week. Here's the new mineral I'm trying: https://naturalwayminerals.com/dairy-goats

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
Some days they consume more, some less. Most people don't worry that they consume a certain amount per day. It is that they don't look deficient and do consume it at times. I have 2 goats and put out one measuring cup of loose mineral at a time. I don't see them eat it but it is usually consumed within a week or so. If you are very concerned about their mineral consumption, then you should do weekly Replamin Plus along with putting out your mineral free choice. They just aren't going to faithfully eat one ounce per day.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Some days they consume more, some less. Most people don't worry that they consume a certain amount per day. It is that they don't look deficient and do consume it at times. I have 2 goats and put out one measuring cup of loose mineral at a time. I don't see them eat it but it is usually consumed within a week or so. If you are very concerned about their mineral consumption, then you should do weekly Replamin Plus along with putting out your mineral free choice. They just aren't going to faithfully eat one ounce per day.
OK, thanks. Reason I was a bit concerned is that I just switched to using this "new to me" mineral and in the past I always used the herbal/plant powder supplements which they eat as soon as I dish it out for them and I have noticed a couple of my 12 goats have fish tails beginning to show. I'm hoping this new mineral works better and improves their health. Hopefully in a month or so I will notice a difference and the fish tails disappear.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's a good question. To properly meet the needs of all my goats which includes anywhere from 10 to 20 animals depending on the time of the year it is very costly to meet their mineral and vitamin needs with the herbal supplements considering my current financial situation. If I ever get to a place where I'm better off financially I would definitely like to go back the herbal supplements from Fir Meadow. I was actually only giving them the recommended dosages once a day instead of twice a day like Katherine recommends and they seemed to be doing pretty well most of the time but recently I've started to notice some signs of mineral deficiencies in some of my goats such as fishtails and rough coats and low tolerance or inability to fight off internal parasites. I think since coming off pasture and going on Hay in November it's been more difficult for them to meet their mineral and vitamin needs because we had an extremely wet year this year and supposedly the nutrient content of our hay is very low compared to most years. Katherine from Fir Meadow recommends giving the recommended dosages at least twice a day so that their body is not going without the necessary nutrients for many hours during the day. I could only afford enough to give them the recommended dosages once a day instead of twice a day. So I'm switching to the Natural Way minerals which are pretty unique in that they are mined out of the Earth from six or seven different mines and it's basically decomposed plant material that has broken down to the ionic stage if I understand it correctly. It's almost like a plant-based mineral rather than a rock based or manufactured minerals. So they're much more absorbable than some of the other manufactured or rock-based minerals. The Natural Way minerals are a little more expensive than most of the stuff that comes in a 50 lb bag but it will be much more affordable for me to adequately meet their vitamin and mineral needs twenty-four hours a day with these as compared to the herbal supplements. It is quite a switch going from using mineral that comes in a 50 lb. bag as compared to using the herbal supplements which come in 8 oz. or 16 oz. packages!

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
Yes. It would be. I would give them time to adjust to the new mineral. I'd also try putting it out free choice just a small amount at a time. Put out like 1 cup so you know how much you put out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts