The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks in advance for any help. I recently welcome twin Nigerian Baby Dwarf goats to the family. They are siblings born on the 24th of March. They have been with me for a week now and are taking the bottle fine. They are both doing about 24-28 ounces of milk a day. The Doe's stool is runny and looks as if she can't control it. She is fine otherwise and plays, they have a couple hours outside in the pen with hay. His stool is fine.

I recently did a stool test with a local vet and they found nothing. I hate when it happens cause it makes a mess of her and the sleep area and I have to wash it off her.

Not sure if it is stress, any help please..
Goat Terrestrial animal Grass Snout Goat-antelope

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I would purchase ScourChek or ScourHalt which are red liquids labeled for piglets. It treats bacterial scours. Since nothing was found on fecal analysis, this is a good option. Must be given twice a day for 3 days.

What type of milk are you feeding them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Saltey love, and when you say good hay, will the hay bundles from Tractor Supply suffice or should I look for a local option? When should they be off the milk replacer completely?

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I agree, I would see if the whole pasteurized cows milk agrees with her better. Some milk replacers just don't agree with some kids.

I'm really not sure about the quality of hay from Tractor Supply. Maybe someone else can chime in?

I would think you'll need to to find a local hay supplier so you can pick up or have delivered hay for long term supply as they get older so might be good to establish now.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,487 Posts
I agree, I would see if the whole pasteurized cows milk agrees with her better. Some milk replacers just don't agree with some kids.

I'm really not sure about the quality of hay from Tractor Supply. Maybe someone else can chime in?

I would think you'll need to to find a local hay supplier so you can pick up or have delivered hay for long term supply as they get older so might be good to establish now.
I don't like tractor supply hay. I'd try to find a local farmer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Milk replacer is probably your problem. They should be on milk a minimum of 8 weeks but better if you go 12 weeks. Whole milk from the grocery store is fine to use. Do a day of electrolytes only then you can go right to whole milk.
And if cow milk doesn't agree with her than you could try half formula/ half goat milk. A lot of times my ND kids didn't do well on the formula alone but did fine if half of the mix was goat milk (so half normal mixed formula and milk, not half water half milk with formula added for the entire volume).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK great advice on the hay. I gave them an electrolytes mix of water, honey, baking soda and salt. they drank it but both had diarrhea after. Today i will put her on the Spectogard and see how that works for her. I will also look for the goat milk half solution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts