Nigerian Dwarf Baby Concern Runny Stool??

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Chris Black, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Chris Black

Chris Black New Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Georgia
    Hello and thanks in advance for any help. I recently welcome twin Nigerian Baby Dwarf goats to the family. They are siblings born on the 24th of March. They have been with me for a week now and are taking the bottle fine. They are both doing about 24-28 ounces of milk a day. The Doe's stool is runny and looks as if she can't control it. She is fine otherwise and plays, they have a couple hours outside in the pen with hay. His stool is fine.

I recently did a stool test with a local vet and they found nothing. I hate when it happens cause it makes a mess of her and the sleep area and I have to wash it off her.

Not sure if it is stress, any help please.. image1.jpeg

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I would purchase ScourChek or ScourHalt which are red liquids labeled for piglets. It treats bacterial scours. Since nothing was found on fecal analysis, this is a good option. Must be given twice a day for 3 days.

What type of milk are you feeding them?

3. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Oh and also be sure to get them started on good hay, grower pellets, and some browse/grazing in the next week. You'll have to show a lot of excitement and interests in these items several times a day to get them started but do it sooner than later.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What type of milk are you feeding?

5. Chris Black

Chris Black New Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Georgia
    Thanks, they are getting DuMor blue ribbon kid milk replacer.

6. Chris Black

Chris Black New Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Georgia
    Thanks Saltey love, and when you say good hay, will the hay bundles from Tractor Supply suffice or should I look for a local option? When should they be off the milk replacer completely?

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Milk replacer is probably your problem. They should be on milk a minimum of 8 weeks but better if you go 12 weeks. Whole milk from the grocery store is fine to use. Do a day of electrolytes only then you can go right to whole milk.

8. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I agree, I would see if the whole pasteurized cows milk agrees with her better. Some milk replacers just don't agree with some kids.

I'm really not sure about the quality of hay from Tractor Supply. Maybe someone else can chime in?

I would think you'll need to to find a local hay supplier so you can pick up or have delivered hay for long term supply as they get older so might be good to establish now.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I don’t like tractor supply hay. I’d try to find a local farmer.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. MorgenAmera

MorgenAmera New Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Granby, Mo
    And if cow milk doesn't agree with her than you could try half formula/ half goat milk. A lot of times my ND kids didn't do well on the formula alone but did fine if half of the mix was goat milk (so half normal mixed formula and milk, not half water half milk with formula added for the entire volume).

12. Chris Black

Chris Black New Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Georgia
    OK great advice on the hay. I gave them an electrolytes mix of water, honey, baking soda and salt. they drank it but both had diarrhea after. Today i will put her on the Spectogard and see how that works for her. I will also look for the goat milk half solution.

Moers kiko boars and SalteyLove like this.
  13. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    The goat milk half solution is something you mix yourself. Honestly, just start with regular whole milk from the grocery store and see how they do on that first.

14. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Very cute babies! One thing you may not know, never give goat babies water from a bottle. They can get very ill, it's called water intoxication.