Nigerian Dwarf Bucklings Critique *updated 6 weeks old*

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by rebelshope, Feb 1, 2009.

1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Hey- My beautiful doe Dixie just have me three bucklings a few days ago. Now I don't need three bucklings, so I am planning on wethering all of them. I thought that I would post some pic here though just to see what everyone thinks of them, other than they are cute :)

I tried to get the best pictures I could, but they are babies and move a lot. lol
    Werther:
    [​IMG]

Magnus
    [​IMG]

Thorsen (?)
    [​IMG]

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Nigerian Dwarf Bucklings Cirque

Adorable little boys....and I'm sure they'll make wonderful pets! At least they stood still long enough for the pics.

3. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Re: Nigerian Dwarf Bucklings Cirque

So they all look to be only pet quality? Or is it just too hard to tell at this young age. I am really trying to learn so any commets are welcome. . . Please be critical, or I can not learn.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Re: Nigerian Dwarf Bucklings Critique

At such a young age you can't really tell. I would give it a few weeks at the least and then decide. From the pictures, I think the top one looks like the best possible buck candidate of the three, but again, I can't put my hands on him and since he's so young and there's only one photo of each I can't really say. They all are very cute, and what neat colors!

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

I would say Magnus, but everyone else is right, they're too young to tell for sure. They are all adorable enough though!

6. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

Thank you. I will take more pic. LOTS AND LOTS :greengrin:

I am not looking for a buck but I will probably keep one as a wether, unless one shapes up to be a really nice prospect. I am torn between Magnus and Werther.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I do believe that they are a bit young to tell - but is what we would need would be a side shot and a real shot to look at the legs.

Also, a picture of the dams udder from behind, side, and showing the foreudder if available. A pic of the sire would be great also one from the side and one from the rear to show leg set.

I know - I ask for alot! :shocked:

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

The top buckling looks the nicest accoring to the pictures. But it could be how the others are standing.

How is their mom's udder? Do they have pedigree to back them up? when selling for pet quality bucks you dont have to worry about all that but if you want to sell for a registered herd sire you will.

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

I know nothing about showing goats....I just love goats! I have two wethers just for pets and I think all three of these boys are just adoreable! I have to say though I just love Thorsen.....he just pulls at my heart strings.

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

ok.. this is how i'v ebeen taught and it works wonderfully well.. you want a kids that you look at and just go ....WOW!

you want a kids that just strikes you with their length and presence

amazingly.. i have done this and it works absolutely wonderfully and it's how i've chosen some of my best animals.. of the three i say that the best looking one that caught me was the second..

11. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009

I think they all look pretty nice especially the first. I would wait till they are older to really decide, Thats if you decide the dams udder is worth it :wink: There are real cute so if you decide to wether them they have the cute factor !!:thumb:

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Its so hard to tell right now as they are so young. But as of now i would place them three two one
    beth

13. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

cdtrum: I am pretty sure that Thorsen will be for sale and we really are not that far apart. I am in southern WI. So if you are interested let me know :greengrin:

SDK: Magnus really caught my eye when the moment I saw him.

Thank for all the input everyone. I will try and get some better pictures when they are a bit bigger.

I can post other information about the dam and sire after a bit. I really want to look at these guy's conformation separate 1st. I know that the dam's udder and sire's history is important too but first I want to look at their conformation.

kelebek: Thanks for the shots that are important. I will work on that. . . how do you photograph a fore udder? Does it take some contortionism? :worried:

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

a forudder picture is taken from the side of the doe

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

By NO mean am I an expert but I talked alot with a breeder when I was looking for a buck so I THINK I might be somewhat knowledgeable - but please please correctme if I am wrong.

If I had to choose one right now it would be werther - the first pic.

He seems to have the neck length, rear leg set from the side looks nice, long body, might be a little down hill though.

The second seems to have a short neck, but could be how he is standing. seems pretty straight, legs could have a little better set - but again, could be how he is standing.

Thorsen, angle of pic and head turned is really hard to tell

16. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

SDK: So so true about the wow factor. I had a buckling born last summer and once he was born I thought he just really stuck out from the rest of the bucklings so I decided to hang onto him and sure enough he has blossomed into a beautiful young buck, very very handsome boy.

17. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

I agree with everyone that it is difficult to tell when they are so young. . . . I guess I like the first and second, but all three look pretty nice. Did you check teats? I always check that first thing and keep checking all the way up 'til weaning and past that (if we're keeping them). I think if one or more continue to develop really nicely and have the pedigree and mammary systems to back them up, then they would be good guys. :)

18. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin

I can not believe it. These guys are not 6 weeks old. All other things being equal, same dam, sire, etc, Which looks like he is just a notch above his brother. I will continue to try and get better shots. Photo graphing kids is not easy!

I tried to get some better shots.

Magnus:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thor- He is the largest
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Werther
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I just had to say - I LOVE the lavendar robe!!! :wink:

The boys are very cute - but there is no way I could choose.

20. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    That is my mom. :roll: I needed help to get is those pictures even that poor. . lol the ones I tried to take on my own were like this.:
    [​IMG]

Btw they are Pecan Hollow lines, both the dam I own the the buck that she was bred to are Pecan Hollow.