The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 year old doe who I noticed has these weird white scab-like things on the top of her head. I have a total of six goats and didn't notice anything like that on any of the others. Does anyone have an idea of what these may be? She's generally the most aggressive and has left two of the younger (1 year) goats with cuts on their heads from impacts in the past, though she somehow always manages to escape unscathed. I noticed it this time because the largest of these had a ring of blood around it, which was quite noticeable on her white fur. I removed it and it was hard, and maybe 1/4 inch across. I got the top of her head wet so I could part the hair more easily to check for others, and found more near the first. I checked some other parts of her body and didn't notice anything similar, though most of her skin there is dark compared to the light skin on her head. I took off one of the smaller ones near the first and it seemed softer, though it was wet by this point.

I've attached some photos. They're all of the same area but at slightly different angles in case it makes a difference. Does anyone have an idea of what these may be?Is it communicable and needs to be addressed by a vet? Or just some type of normal skin condition?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying! I assume you're referring to the white things. It isn't pus but rather more like the consistency of a soft scab. The red spot is a tiny bit of blood where there was a much larger piece that someone else ripped out when I asked them what they thought it was. It was already bleeding a tiny bit around it, though, since she and another goat had been really aggressive with each other for a day; the other, smaller doe also has a small cut on her head (though this isn't the first time; this particular white doe from the images tends to be aggressive when in heat).

By warble I assume you mean a botfly, since that's what was suggested when I looked up the term (I only know it in relation to birds). I live in northern Nevada and have never heard of any botflies in my area.

I'm now wondering whether it may be a staph infection. It's clearest in the first image, but you can see where the skin turns dark that there are more of the white bumps. What do you think?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was thinking. Though I'm still confused by the very hard white thing I first removed from her, which is where she was bleeding. It seemed almost like something that had calcified and was embedded in her skin. But I can't find anything with a google search.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be. That was my first thought, but it's rough around the edges, not smooth like I'd expect from a horn. They are disbudded but several are prone to growing those little pieces that are loose and can come off. I'm going to examine them all more closely today and

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I examined the others and couldn't find any similar lumps, though I found it a little hard to tell on the ones with darker skin. For now I've isolated the one doe and am treating her head with the instructions for a staph infection. I'll give it a little time to see if it's effective. If it doesn't work, I'll probably bring her to the vet (70 minutes away each direction, so I try not to unless they really need it, as it takes half a day). Thanks for your input!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts