The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Nigerian dwarf goat suddenly died last night. He was 1 1/2 year old. He would stop eating and drinking so we treated him with IV fluids and antibiotics he would get better for a day or two. This last time he was so bad he had to stay at the vet, on the second day the vet said that morning he was doing a lot better. Later they called and said Loki took a turn for the worst, 5 hours later he died at home in our arms with his brother by his side. The vet was treating him for polio but I’m sure that’s what he had. His brother Homer is almost 3 yrs old and is perfectly healthy. My goats are house pets they have never lived a day of their lives outside. I’ve had them since they were 3 days old. Does anyone have thoughts on what my baby could of had.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,166 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss... Loki was adorable and you must be heartbroken.
What's their diet was my first question, second, what minerals were you giving them? What kind of roughage / hay were they getting? could he have gotten into something that poisoned him by accident, or ate some plastic that blocked his intestines? The only way to know for sure is to have a necropsy done.

Don't take this wrong, but goats are outside herd animals, they need to have sun on their backs and fresh air to breathe and leaves to chew on. That said, ALL 15 of my goats are house broken and come in for a visit on a regular basis. You can have it both ways... which is better for your furry friend. Just something to think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,275 Posts
im also wondering if he got into something, chemicals, poisons, shrubbery. Sorry for the lose though, I know how they can get in your heart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sorry for your loss... Loki was adorable and you must be heartbroken.
What's their diet was my first question, second, what minerals were you giving them? What kind of roughage / hay were they getting? could he have gotten into something that poisoned him by accident, or ate some plastic that blocked his intestines? The only way to know for sure is to have a necropsy done.

Don't take this wrong, but goats are outside herd animals, they need to have sun on their backs and fresh air to breathe and leaves to chew on. That said, ALL 15 of my goats are house broken and come in for a visit on a regular basis. You can have it both ways... which is better for your furry friend. Just something to think about.
Thank you, my boys do go outside they just prefer to be in the house most of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sorry for your loss... Loki was adorable and you must be heartbroken.
What's their diet was my first question, second, what minerals were you giving them? What kind of roughage / hay were they getting? could he have gotten into something that poisoned him by accident, or ate some plastic that blocked his intestines? The only way to know for sure is to have a necropsy done.

Don't take this wrong, but goats are outside herd animals, they need to have sun on their backs and fresh air to breathe and leaves to chew on. That said, ALL 15 of my goats are house broken and come in for a visit on a regular basis. You can have it both ways... which is better for your furry friend. Just something to think about.
All of his results came back negative, his blood, test urine negative his x rays nothing and his poop negative for anything.
 

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
Joined
·
7,455 Posts
Get your other one blood tested. It could have been some underlying disease. Other than that and making sure you get minerals, that's all you can do for your other boy except getting him a friend so he doesn't get depressed.

Necropsies are really what tell you what the goat had if you aren't sure, but the time has probably passed for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,166 Posts
If this was an ongoing thing it might have been genetic. Have you ever wormed them? Do you know how to check FAMACHAS? If they went out occasionally he could have picked up a worm or coccidia load that because they were house goats you wouldn't normally think to check.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If this was an ongoing thing it might have been genetic. Have you ever wormed them? Do you know how to check FAMACHAS? If they went out occasionally he could have picked up a worm or coccidia load that because they were house goats you wouldn't normally think to check.
Yeah they are both current on all their vacs. His coccidia test came back negative. We even sent his test to a goat specialist. And came back negative on everything.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top