nigerian dwarf goat with 16 mo. old heifer and alpine

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hann, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Hann

Hann Member

Apr 24, 2018
    So, we are thinking of purchasing our first Nigerian Dwarf goat. We currently have one 6 yr. old Alpine and a 16 mo. old heifer. Could the cow hurt the nigerian because she is smaller? and any tips on introducing a smaller goat to a larger goat?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Both could severely hurt a Nigerian. My personal experience with Alpines is that they are very aggressive with other goats. I wouldn't add just one Nigerian and I would be prepared to keep them in a separate area.

goatblessings likes this.

3. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Both have the potential to hurt a Nigerian, depending on the temperament. I don't have experience with cows but when introducing a small goat to a large goat, I would move the big goat temporarily and rearrange all the toys and mobile structures. Make sure there are more shelters than animals (pallet houses, enclosed dog crates sans doors, etc.) and make other spaces as open as possible so that the little goats can't get cornered. Have a backup plan in case you aren't comfortable leaving them alone. I agree with ksalvagno, more than one Nigerian would at least help disperse any aggression/over enthusiastic play. Oddly enough, this is also how you introduce new fish to an existing tank, and how you introduce rodents to each other.

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    My Alpines bash each other and they like each other. If I added a stranger, big or small, they would take turns bashing the new one. I agree, a single Nigerian would probably get injured. At the very least, extremely stressed.

5. Hann

Hann Member

Apr 24, 2018
    The alpine and the heifer are both very nice animals. The cow just leaves the goats alone and our Alpine is a sweet goat. The cow is never in close quarters with the goats and we have a chest bar across their stall so the goats can have privacy. We had 5 goats including two small boers and two alpine kids. Our alpine head butted only when the boers tried to get her food. But besides that we had no problems. She was a little protective of her kids but they were sold yesterday so thats not an issue anymore. Anyone who has cows with their goats?

6. Hann

Hann Member

Apr 24, 2018
    The heifer isn't too large either

7. Pack Goat Girl

Pack Goat Girl Active Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Define small on the Boers.

8. Hann

Hann Member

Apr 24, 2018
    about the size of a full grown nigerian... we bought them young for meat and they stayed away from the cow and vice versa.

9. Pack Goat Girl

Jun 17, 2018
    They might bond, it would help that they are the same size.

10. Hann

Hann Member

Apr 24, 2018
    They were for meat. so they are not around anymore :(

11. Pack Goat Girl

Jun 17, 2018
    Oh, well in that case if you really want the Niggerian I would try to get one of her herd mates as well.

12. I tried, briefly, to keep Nigerians and standards together. My lamanchas knocked the babies out of one young doe, so they got their own pasture. I know there are those for whom keeping everyone together has worked. It didn't for me.

13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    My Alpines are sweet too, to people.