Nigerian Dwarf Herds

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Jan 2, 2009.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Well, we all decided next spring/summer we will be purchasing and shipping in a kid or two. My question is if you were to purchase one....what farm would you choose? There are some great herds out there today, i'm having a hard time narrowing down to just one. What are your thoughts?

I REALLY like Rosasharn and Old Mountain Farm and am really thinking about either. I'm open to any suggestions. But just let me know what ya think...
  2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    pholia farm..

they are in oregon

super nice animals

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would go with Rosasharn, OMF, maybe Twin Creeks - but Rosasharn and OMF would be my choices. Would you be getting a doe or buck or both??

We'll be getting a new buck from OMF next year and I'm thinking of getting a doe from Twin Creeks. . . .
  4. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm thinking probably a buck and a doe, maybe just a buck....we'll just have to see. Yeah, i'm really thinking of going with Rosasharn, but i'm still open to any suggestions. I am really loving their goats.
  5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Fairlea, Dragonfly, rosasharn, NC Promisedland, Kids corral, oh and Lost Valley. Those are the sites I always look at when i am looking for goats... no, i'm not doing that anymore.. no no no. No more goats for Ashley :hammer:
  6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, yes. I like Kids Corral - very nice animals! :D I also like Lost Valley but their website kinda overwhelms me. :?
  7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    From what I've seen, I'd go with Rosasharn
  8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would also take a look at CornerStone, personally
  9. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I love Rosasharn and OMF, I love these two the best of all mentioned.
    OMF would be my first choice, they have alot to chose from, and I
    don't think you can go wrong with them!!
  10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I always tell people to get the best they can afford in bucks. after all...he is half of your herd.
    That said...i really like the resasharn herd. And jordan has a beautiful doe on her first freshener page that i keep going back too....
  11. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    OK, I have had experience with goats from all of these farms. Except no personal experience with the Twin Creek goats, although Kellye is very helpful. And I have seen OMF goats in the show ring down in NC. Rosasharn is harder to work with just because of the volume of people reserving goats, and a few friends of ours had not so good experiences with them. I personally bought a buck from them and they were more then helpful...... You can PM me for more details about the herds if you'd like...
  12. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I would go with Rosasharn Farm in MA, 5 acre Farm in MA also has some nice animals from Rosasharn and other herds.
    Those are who I would go with. I Have a Doe from 5 Acre Farm and I love her she is great in the milk pail, show ring, and in the barn.
  13. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thank you everyone for all your help and advice! I've got a lot of thinking to do and need to talk a bit more with each farm i'm considering purchasing from and will let you all know what we decide.
  14. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I love NC Promisedland. They have good consistency, conformation, and milk production. They have one of the strongest udder breeding programs in the ND world, IMO- all of the does I have seen from them have really nice, easy to milk udders with the ability to really milk.
  15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Kylee....I personally think that Laurel Haven as well as Sweet Gum and many others have some very nice genetics in their herds, it may be worth getting some of those lines from the EAST to the West to improve on what is already in your part of the country.
  16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I forgot to add that I love all of Chelsey's animals. . . . she is a really good breeder and has beautiful animals. :)
  17. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Thank you so much Olivia!!

I feel so lucky to have shown against some of the best herds in the country, even though is was stiff competition. I learned soo much from them and am so excited to go into my second real show season this year! Kaapio Acres is a lesser known herd (atleast from my experience) but they have some beautiful animals, that WIN in the show ring. And they are AWESOME to deal with. Although I do not think they ship...

Good luck with your decision!! :greengrin:
  18. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    There are also a few herds here in Idaho to, haven't really done research on them-but might be another possibility for you to check out.
  19. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Muddy Creek and Laurel Haven...I was browsing nigerian websites the other day and was seriously like WOW, these are some nice goats. I'm going to check your guy's website again and see if there's something that catches my eye. This is going to be a difficult decision!

Thank you again everyone for all the suggestions! If you have any others, feel free to ad them!
  20. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Aww Thanks folks for the nice compliments about my herd. :oops: I am very proud of the herd I have established so thank you very much. :wink:

KW Farms - If you see a breeding you like or a certain line you like please feel free to contact me at anytime if you have questions. And keep in mind I will be adding 1 more Caesar's Villa doe, and 1 more Rosasharn doe, here in January. So they will be added soon. And then I am done adding goats for a while as I am quickly reaching my maximum. Except I will be getting a buck on loan from the Harrell's at NC PromisedLand as they want to "swap" bucks... so I get my choice of any of their boys so they can use my CV Sharpie for a month. So that will be some new bloodlines coming in there.
    All my goats come from CAE & CL clean herds plus I test regularly. I get a discount now shipping through American Airlines because I am a priority shipping member so normally 2 kids can be shipped together for around $200. Which is a great rate compared to others I have seen. Oh, and I give discounts for multiple purchases. :shades:
    If you decide to go with another breeder, I have dealt with many and may be able to give you some helpful tips if needed. There is so many wonderful herd lines out there today it would be a tough choice for sure... a couple of my favorites are NC Promisedland (always been very honest and open to me, and I have seen their goats personally and the are solid in dairy character), OMF (Cheryle has a very nice diverse herd up North, sometimes hard to get in contact with as she has a hard time typing anymore, so I suggest you call) and Rosasharn (what can I say other than fabulous mammary genetics, but she has a huge waiting list).

Again if you have any questions just ask, I will help if I can!... Good luck with what ever you choose. :thumbup: