The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be trading for a Nigerian Dwarf this week. I had no idea how small they are! I am now pretty worried for her safety with my full size does.

All but one of my does are disbudded and there generally isn't bullying unless its grain time.

But I have a boer doe that is massive and I don't know if a Dwarf could hold her own even in mild tussles....

Has anyone ever had a problem with this? Should I put her in my baby pen? Even though they bully each other more than the adults....

Im getting more worried the more I write about it :worried::worried:

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I don't have standards but my mom did and she had 3 ND in with her herd of 8 Toggs and Boers... they will still establish a pecking order but my mom ensured that the smaller goats had areas they could run to that the big goats couldn't get in :) Oh and these 3 ND were adults, not kids. If the doe you are getting is a year or younger, I'd be placing her with your standard kids until she was a bit bigger.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is a middle aged doe, 5 or 6. And I have LOTS of hidey holes in my pen. Sometimes I can't find them myself! That's a relief to know

For some reason I always thought ND were between pygmies and fainting goats. But she is only 20 inches!

That's a scary realization when I just saw my Saanen reach something over 6 feet in the air!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we have both nd and standards. we really dont have a problem, although i'd be a tad worried about your horned does but put her in with your babies until she aquires the same smell as the rest. they still may fight a little but nd hold their own

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I would make sure that she had a place to run ... I would also suggest getting her a buddy of the same size. I feel she would be lonely as the only one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts