Nigerian Dwarf Milking Question

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kimsminis, Apr 22, 2009.

1. kimsminis

kimsminis New Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I have 2 Does that had babies 6 weeks ago. Can I do a partial weening, so I can get the morning milk, or do I have to wait until 10 weeks?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I start separating at night at 5 weeks, milk at 4 30 am before work and kids are with mom all day. If you separate at 8 pm then milk at 8 am you'll be fine and have a 12 hour fill :greengrin:

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
  4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I separate at around 10:00pm once kids are 4 weeks old. Then I milk mom out but leave a little for the kids - then they nurse off her and usualy strip her out (if she doesnt let them back up on the milking stand she goes and I milk her all the way out) then they nurse all day and in the stall or dog crate they go at night.
  5. iteach64

iteach64 New Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Do you give the kids grain and hay when you seperate from mother? I have a 4 week old kid.
  6. J.O.Y. Farm

J.O.Y. Farm ~Crazy Goat Lady~

Jan 10, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I start at two weeks and do like Stacey.. I provide free choice grain, hay, water, & (even though they don't need it at that age) minerales and Baking soda(that way they don't eat it like candy when it's 'new', cause it's been there their whole life.) once they are older the grain is no longer free choice at night, they get a set amount and that's that..
  7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Kids have hay and a small pail of water available to them at bedtime, in the morning when I milk, they get a grain ration while I milk out mama then after she's done, they attack her for what I've left in her udder. I only feed grain 2x a day and don't leave it for kids overnight, the hay is plenty.
  8. WalshKidsGoats

WalshKidsGoats Junior Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Yerington, Nevada