Nigerian Dwarf Second Freshening

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by Sea To Summit, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Sea To Summit

Sea To Summit Active Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Maryland, USA
    Hello all, I am still relatively new to breeding ND goats. I hope to eventually have a small herd of great quality mini milking goats and hopefully enter the show rings one day. But for now, I'm trying to learn everything and anything I can from my only registered doe. She freshened last year with a single kid and I never tried to milk her myself as her udder was fairly small and since I wasn't milking her alongside her feeding the kid, she didn't produce all that much when I attempted. I had another unregistered doe that produced well so I just left my registered girl to feed her kid and dry up naturally.

She freshened for the second time three weeks ago with twins. Last night I separated her kids from for the first time so I could start milking her. She is a real kicker and screamer on the milk stand, but I'm sure we'll get better with practice. She definitely does not want to let her milk down for me, hopefully that improves too. But after a half hour, I had a cup of milk that I was proud of (would have been more like a cup and a half, but we had a couple spills...)

I was just hoping to get feedback on this girl's udder. The good, the bad, and the ugly please. I've tried to form my own opinion first, so I want to see how your feedback compares to mine to see if I'm on the right track with looking at udders. I know I have a lot to learn, but I need to start somewhere!

These pictures were about 10 hours after I separated her from the kids.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Overall, I think her udder is lovely! She might need a bit tighter medial suspensory ligament and perhaps a little more capacity. But overall, I'd be very pleased if she were mine!

3. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    She has a very well balanced udder. Her medial is good for her age, she mainly needs more height and attachment with more central teat placement. She is nice and open though and overall really lovely!