Nigerian Dwarf Skin Cancer On Nose

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kperki, Mar 9, 2020.

1. kperki

kperki New Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Hi,
    I am hoping that someone has some experience with this and can help me. We have an older goat that the vet told us has skin cancer on her nose by the nostril. He told us to put sunscreen on it and was really no help. Due to certain comments let me clarify! This is the only goat vet in our small area and the vets here are really not into helping chickens and goats, it is what it is. I am on here to see if others have had any experience with this and what possibly helped them. I thought posting this could be helpful in helping her. I obviously care about her and if there was other vet options I would have done it. I am not going to let her suffer and we would euthanize her if she seemed pained. This isn’t what the post is about and I am looking for what someone else may have done not advice on getting another vet or how I am just going to let her suffer. I am not. So let put all that aside and stick to what I’m looking for if you have had experience or knowledge on this I would love to hear it so I can try to help her. I thought that is what this forum was about. Anyhow...Her growth has gotten bigger and is blocking part of her nostril. She is still breathing ok, she is not acting sick or pained. We would like to see if there is something we can put to keep it from growing or shrink it or keep from growing. We want to keep her comfortable and happy. As of now she is both but we are worried about the future.
    Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    CaramelKittey likes this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Get an new vet!

3. kperki

kperki New Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Wow that is a lot of help...

4. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I’ve heard of people using CBD salves and even turmeric topically on dog skin tumors. That’s what I would look into if your vet isn’t of any help.

5. kperki

kperki New Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Thank you, I did try that in the beginning but we noticed after a couple weeks of use it seemed to make it really soft and more oozy where as it was more dry and sealed up before so I stopped. I was afraid of it being more open like that flies would be attracted to it. I will get a picture tomorrow it has grown quite large. Unfortunately we are in a small town and not a lot of help here. We had the so called goat vet come from another town. Not that it did much good! Thanks again

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Unfortunately cancer is one of those diseases that needs a vet. If your vet can't help any further, you may want to consult with a cancer vet.

CountyLineAcres and Sfgwife like this.
  7. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    i am sorry you did not like my reply. But another vet. One that actually might HELP you with your goat having cancer and DO something for the goat. Instead of the current one... oh just let it grow and the goat die in pain. Seems reasonable to me to find a new vet.

CountyLineAcres and Chief00 like this.
  8. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I haven't read of any way to slow the growth. Skin cancer under the tail is somewhat common in goats and unfortunately, yes, it is ultimately deadly, as it's an aggressive cancer and their health will decline.

I would say, treat her like royalty, assess her daily for any distress, and come up with the most peaceful euthanasia plan you can. So sorry you have to go through this.

MadHouse and kperki like this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Giving advice to see another vet who can help this goat is wise.

How did the vet determine cancer, was a sample taken and tested?
    A pic may help.

If it is indeed cancer, it must be removed and hopefully they can get the whole thing. If not of course,it is not good and we hope it does not spread.

If it gets too big, it may suffocate the goat, if it is indeed on the nose.

Some can be cut out and they are good for a while and if they get all the cancer area out, the goat should have more years with you.
    Some though, may of already spread way too far and it is a matter of time.

I truly agree with seeking another vet.

MadHouse and Sfgwife like this.
  10. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    There is no home remedy that you can put on skin cancer that is going to cure it or cause it to shrink. Surgical removal might buy her some time.

Sfgwife likes this.
  11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Can you post a picture of the cancer? How sure are you its cancer? There has been some success with Frankincense used topically...

kperki and Moers kiko boars like this.
  12. kperki

kperki New Member

Dec 10, 2014

13. kperki

kperki New Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Thank you I appreciate your kind words. She is a spoiled girl:)

14. kperki

kperki New Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Thank you I will look into that.
    I will get a picture hopefully tomorrow. The vet said that because of the skin being very light there that skin cancer develops. He said he has seen it on numerous fair skinned goats. She is a rescue goat and an older goat. The vet thought with her age she could pass from old age before the cancer would get her. He said surgery was not an option for her. We want her to be as happy and comfortable as possible so we thought we would look into alternate options that would possibly help keep her happy as long as we can. I appreciate your help.

toth boer goats and happybleats like this.
  15. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

I have to wonder if this was working. There's many things you can use to keep flies away..
    Healing is often oozy.