Nigerian Dwarfs ~Pet Peeves with Udders

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Sonrise Farm, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    . . .although I am getting pretty good at judging conformation (to myself anyway . . .much better than I was before . . .) I still have a hard time with shoulders/hindleg angulation . . .but most of all my problem lies with Udders. I know what a nice, snugly attached udder looks like, it's just the foreudders I have problems with. But What are your pet peeves about udders? Mine would be loose attachment and iddy bitty teats . . .

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't really have a particular pet peeve in udders - if it isn't correct and the way it is supposed to look, then I don't like it. . . . . Pockets in the foreudder really drive me nuts, as well as overall poor attachments, small, widely-placed teats, narrow escutcheon, and poor medial division, I could go on. . . . but I'll leave it at that. ;)

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

im a stickler for a nice udder, after all i do have to look at it at least twice a day. Foreudders i like to see a long smooth attatchment, rear udders i like a high wide well rounded scrutchen and a nice medial. But i think the biggest thing is teat size and placement. afterall i am milking the teats not the foreudder.
    beth

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    heres some pictures of what i think are nice udders

5. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I like the last one's long teats. On Old Mountain Farm, the doe called Mizi---I love her teats!

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    what really matters is the orifice size. not length as much. if the doe has long teats and itty bitty orifices, its gonna take alot longer than a doe with shorter teats and larger orifices

7. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I agree, teats don't always look promising, but if they express well that's the key. I love socked on udders - loose attachments drive me nuts.

8. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Could someone post some photos for comparison, not of an obviously awful udder, but of some with less desireable traits. It's easier to tell about something really terrible, but something more subtle is harder for a novice like me to tell, especially from a photo. Maybe point out, "see, these teats are too widely spaced,too short", etc. Thanks, Lauren

9. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I am glad to see someone brought up teat orifices... It is often overlooked when discussing the udder... as they do make a major difference in milking. I love those does with large orifices makes milking go that much easier! ( I can get twice as much milk from my doe Hopi who has very large orifices, than say another that doesn't in half the time). And then a tight attachment as you want that udder to hold up well over the years. Teat size and positioning come next on my list. I milk so all of those things are very important to me. ( large orifices, tight attachment, teat size, & positioning) :thumbup:
    Then you have other things to consider when looking at an udder that are important, such as texture of the udder, how it collapses after milking, how the fore is connected, is it smoothly blended with no pockets, oh the list just goes on and on...

Here is an illustration that shows an ideal udder and then at the bottom not such an ideal udder with traits you do not want... hope that helps some!
    [​IMG]

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    along with the orifice size, another big pet peeve i have is the udder placement. ive seen does with beautiful little udders, but they are sucked in under the body, its supposed to be an even thirds ( 1/3 rear,1/3 leg,1/3 fore) i found some pictures on google, that show this. i hate this trait and i'm breeding it out.( sorry if i found anyones goats on google.)

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Actually one of my biggest pet peeves it teats that are too large/long, they just look really odd on the Nigi sized udder, and they do not always make for ease of milking like others have said. All of my does have fabulous orifices which makes milking very quick. Azriel has the best milkability though, her udder has the best texture and her teats are perfect size for me and her orifaces are huge.

Rear udder is another one of my biggest pet peeves, I love that socked on round, wide rear udder attatchment.

Foreudders for me, I love the look of the smooth foreudder don't get me wrong. But I haven't noticed a difference in function ease of milking or really any differences with goats that have less smooth foreudders.

Medials, are a really important part of udders, especially with does who are heavy milkers. I love the look of a good medial, but too much medial does not look good.

Capacity! is another huge thing! A big udder doesn't always mean lots of milk. They con just have fat in their udder which makes it look larger, they are called beefy udders. That is the reason the judge wants the does milked out for the best in show lineup.

There is lots more, but I home that helps!

(and SDK, that middle photo the doe is just stretched out too far, I bet if she was set up correctly her udder would look alot nicer.)

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    here are some side profiles of does with poor udder placement

the first doe's udder looks gorgeous, but its tucked in under her body

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    and here are some does who have better placement.

14. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Thank you, thank you for the clear pictures and descriptions, it makes much more sense for me when you point out the traits in the pictures. One last (?) question, what is the problem with a pocket in the foreudder? Is it just aesthetic, or does it cause milking or longevity problems?

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Here is my doe Ginger, she has a very good 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 udder.

[​IMG]

16. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I can't see your picture, Chelsey . . . my computer blocks it . . .but my favorite doe from Dragonfly Farm is Chiaro . . . and my second favorite is Party . . .

17. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yes chelsea ginger has a beautiful udder!!

18. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thank you sooooo much for explaining the "third" thing, I have never really gotten that and kept forgetting to ask! Sweet! Now I know what it is. :cool:

Very nice comparison pics everyone. . . . I just love Ginger. :love: :)

19. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I love how her lip is stuck out in that photo, she was mid scream :slapfloor: