Nigerian for meat??

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by LibertyHomesteadFarm, Nov 7, 2016.

1. LibertyHomesteadFarm

LibertyHomesteadFarm Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Hey there, I've got a cryptorchid Nigerian buck-wether kid I'm considering sending to the processor with my market lambs.

Being he still had one testicle, albeit sterile, would he be any good for meat? I don't want nasty bucky meat, but I was thinking I could use him for hot sausage...
    That said I would prefer to have cuts rather than all sausage if his meat wouldn't have buck taint.

Any thoughts? ?

2. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    How old is he? Does he smell bucky now?

3. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014
    He is 8 months old, only a faint musky smell but not as bad as the intact bucks. The market lambs are slated for processing a week or two after Christmas.

4. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014
    Does anyone have any experience eating buck meat?

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It may taste bucky.

6. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014
    I'm aware of that, but will it be bad enough to warrant making whole-goat extra spicy sausage or can I just do regular cuts?

7. My husband butchered out a buck last year and it was fine. Just a little tougher as he was several years old.

8. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014
    That's encouraging. This little guy is pretty small, so he probably wouldn't yield enough meat to meet the processor's 30 lb minimum per sausage flavor unless I added some of the lamb (which I REALLY don't want to do!)

9. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014
    Input from everyone else who may have experience with Nigerian meat/buck meat/cryptorchid meat would also be appreciated!

10. Do you can? I canned up a bunch of goat this year, in pint jars. For the broth, I used 1 quart of beef broth (I just used the Better Than Beef Broth from the grocery store), made one quart, added 1 cup of red wine, about a teaspoon of black pepper, 1/4 c. Worcestershire and simmered that while I was cutting up the meat. Packed it into jars and covered with the broth to 1 inch headspace. But we butchered him here. 10 lbs pressure for 75 minutes. Well, I used more pressure because I'm at 5000 ft elevation. It turned out well. I gave the scraps and raw meaty bones to the dogs. A day's work for sure, but totally worthwhile. Dog food for awhile, and easy meals on the shelf.

11. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I've sent under a year old bucks to freezer camp. They tasted just as good as the wethers, no buck taste at all.

12. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    ive never sent a ND to slaughter unless i have no other option, around here i know it would cost more for slaughtering and processing then the meat would be worth. ive heard buck meat taste no different than doe or wether

13. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    We have eaten ND buck meat. We had it ground for meatballs and meatloaf. It was still really good, couldn't tell the difference. :)

14. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014
    Took my market lambs and the ND kid to slaughter today; because the goat kid was only 47 lbs (which means approx 23 lbs of meat), we decided to have him cut into whole-goat stew meat with the exception of the shanks and one leg.