The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My Nigerian dwarf goats coats aren’t looking too good. There color is really faded. I gave them their copper bolus. There up to date on vaccines. I feed them unlimited hay and I give them grain morning and night. Plus free choice baking soda and mineral. They are due for deworming. I’m doing that tonight. But any ideas of what else could be causing it?

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,616 Posts
When did you last give them a copper bolus? As mentioned before, it can take a while for them to show any improvement. The mineral that you are feeding is okay, I know some who use it, but they also have to give a lot of supplements. Are you able to get this kind at TSC (Purina Wind and Rain Storm All Season 7.5 Complete Beef Cattle Mineral, 50 lb.)? I switched over too Purina from the same mineral you're feeding and really love the awesome results I got!! My goats' coats are now a lot smoother and shinier since I made the switch! My goats have also never needed a copper bolus before. With all that being said, that is only what works for MY herd, your herd, location, etc. are different than mine, but I think it would definitely be worth a shot as I know others who have great results (with the mineral I mentioned) too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. That sounds good. I just got a bag of poulin grain goat mineral. I leave it as free choice. Should I add it to their food instead? They don’t really eat it. I gave them their bolis 3 weeks ago. They get it religiously every 3 months. I haven’t dewormed them yet but they r due. Could that be causing it? I live in Maine. They mostly eat hay. Not too much forage. They cleaned everything out. And I buy really good hay they eat it plus my cow and horses. My other thought was wondering if they could be selenium deficient? I guess I’ll try the new supplement and look for improvement. I might try the stuff u have if I don’t c a difference.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You're welcome!! I think I found the "guaranteed analysis" for the Poulin mineral that you bought, and I'm not liking the looks of it. 😕 It doesn't have enough copper or selenium, and it looks like there is no zinc which is very important too. There is also too much salt in it. Here's a great blog post on what to look for in minerals (Goat Minerals 101). It was actually written by one of our awesome members!

Just keep the mineral out free choice. Minerals should never be mixed in with their food.

Copper boluses can take a few months before you can see a change. How long have you been giving them boluses? How much do you give at a time?

Yes, worms can cause dull coats. You should never deworm on a schedule, only if they need it. How does their FAMANCHA look? You could also do a fecal for a better idea on if they really need dewormed.

Selenium deficiencies usually don't lead to dull coats. But Maine has selenium deficient soil and your minerals don't have enough selenium, so I would give them a supplement. You can either do a monthly gel (from TSC) or a yearly injection called BoSe that you can only get through a vet.

Since the Poulin minerals aren't they best, you might want to look into Replamin gel which usually given monthly and has many kinds of minerals in it. I personally have never had to use it, but have heard it does wonders!

I still highly recommend trying the minerals I mentioned earlier!! Let us know if you have any more questions, we are always happy to help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They have been on bolus since I bought them 4 years now. Their coats always fade when it’s the 3 month mark and their due for the bolus. But I goes right away within a couple weeks. This time it’s not. I did recently switch hay suppliers. Crazy cause this hay is way better but must have less of some nutrient. I think I’ll take a ride to tractor supply within the next couple days and try your minerals. And grab some selenium gel and c if it helps. Thank you so much for all the advise. You have been a huge help!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
They have been on bolus since I bought them 4 years now. Their coats always fade when it’s the 3 month mark and their due for the bolus. But I goes right away within a couple weeks. This time it’s not. I did recently switch hay suppliers. Crazy cause this hay is way better but must have less of some nutrient. I think I’ll take a ride to tractor supply within the next couple days and try your minerals. And grab some selenium gel and c if it helps. Thank you so much for all the advise. You have been a huge help!
Hmm, that's kind of strange. Has anything else (besides the hay) changed? I suppose the new hay could play a part in this too, but I think better minerals should really help.

The picture that you posted looks like the right one, but I believe the bag now looks like the picture @Goatastic43 posted. Also, make sure that you get the 7.5 and not the 4 or 12.

My vet recommended that I supplement my goats twice a year with the selenium & vitamin e gel. But, according the picture I'm attaching below, Maine looks a lot more deficient than Ohio, meaning (IMO) you would have to give the gel at least 3-4 times a year if not monthly like the instructions say. My vet also told me not to give the gel when they are pregnant because it can supposedly make them miscarry. Now, I don't know how true that is since I also know quite a few people who give the gel to their pregnant goats and have no problems. I personally, would rather not risk it though.

I think the Purina minerals and selenium gel should be a great start and should hopefully really improve their coats!! In addition to those things, a couple TBS of BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) each feeding should also help add extra shine to their coats too!

As I said before, worms can make their coats dull, so that could also be why they aren't improving from the copper bolus this time. The most reliable way to know if they have worms is to do a fecal. For deworming, I love herbal dewormers!! I'm currently am using Molly's herbs and love it!! But I have heard that Land Of Havilah is better, cheaper, and you don't have to give as much because it's more concentrated!! I will definitely be switching over to that once I finish up Molly's.

Glad I could help! Hope the Purina minerals work for your herd too!!
Map Organism Line Font Working animal

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Do you still have sheep with your goats? I saw in one of your older threads you mentioned that you had sheep. If so, the Purina mineral would have way to much copper for sheep.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts