The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BennyBear, Duncy, and Kota
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question. :ponder: i just wanna know how nigerian wethers would do alone. i have heard people say "i had A goat." an im kinda new with the goats. they are 2 years old and i have 3. they have been together since they were only a few months old annd they are getting expensive and i just want to know what would happen if i just kept one...(OR) gave one to someone else, just to cut cost..its just getting so expensive and i can like see the stress on my parents face and i asked one time why they let me keep them and they said cuz they know i love them. and i just feel bad so please answer this :(

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
What exactly is it that you are asking? If its ok for a goat to live alone? Its really not best, they won't do well alone and will probably cry a lot at the very least.

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
No, goats don't do well alone. If it is getting to expensive, maybe you would want to consider trying to sell them all together as a package. With only 3, they are probably very attached to each other.

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Can I ask how long you have had your goats? You say you are new to goats and that they are two years old and been together most their lives.....so I am taking it you aren't their first mom?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
...i just wanna know how nigerian wethers would do alone.(
That is going to depend on the goat and the owner. I know several people who only have 1 goat and he/she is fine, but they have other animals that the goat can interact with, or they have children who spend a lot of time interacting with the goat.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
Yes, they can survive without a goat friend. It is ideal? No. Goats are herd animals, they are happiest and healthiest when they have at least one goat buddy. Secondly you said these two grew up together, the stress of that alone can cause depression and illness. I understand how you are feeling, loving them and knowing its a pinch to keep them. You might consider giving them both to the same person, maybe some one who lives near so you can visit. Another idea would be to look at what you are feeding. Weathers don't need grain. They do very well on quality hay and graze and Minerals.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Never alone!!

I have recently dealt with this first hand. I had to wethers I raised together since they were a week old one of them recently past. Within a couple of days my remaining wether (now alone) became depressed stopped eating and started to decline extremely quick. It was heart breaking to see. On the 4th day I had to pick him up a companion, a little doe. He is now doing wonderful and back to himself. I KNOW if I tried leaving him alone he would have died. It is true you can't have just one!!!!!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
why are they becoming to expensive? Wethers dont need much and really shouldnt be hurting the pocketbook much at all.

Good quality hay and loose minerals are all they need. Grain is a treat and not a necessity with wethers.

·
Goat Mom
829 Posts
why are they becoming to expensive? Wethers dont need much and really shouldnt be hurting the pocketbook much at all.

Good quality hay and loose minerals are all they need. Grain is a treat and not a necessity with wethers.
My thoughts as well, I have 2 wethers and a doe and besides the unnecessary vet care they have been quite cheap to keep. I feed hay pellets,hay and forage,in the last 11 months I have bought 6 bags of pelletts at a cost of less than $100.00,plus a big bale of 2nd cut which sells for 25-40.00 dollars so for the year I'm in about $150.00 for food less than .50 per day.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I agree with Stacey.

Also, I would probably sell them both before I sold one and kept the other. They're bonded and separating them permanently will be stressful. I never recommend keeping a goat by itself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts