The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We have been having some problems with scours ... our Nigerian dwaft weather keeps getting Scours .. I'm really concerned he is my baby..
We got a fecal test done, the vet said negative. But i question that because the tech that was on the phone kept saying "the test was negative, and it was for your other dog Lorcan too "... Well these are goats not dogs. But, The vet that tested them put them in a the system as goats, so.... We are just not sure. I'm trying to learn how to do the fecal tests myself, but I've been having trouble with that i wanted to be sure.
So, I've been giving probios and scour halt. The dose for the scour halt is 2 milometers every 12 hours for 5 days. Today is the fifth day and he has gone from runny pudding poops to clumping berries. In the past, in five days on scour halt he goes from pudding to completely normal berries. He's acting fine.
This is about the fourth time he's gotten scours since last September.
We have wormed him in the past but not just now. Our horse guy gave us some Albon (spelling?) but i haven't gave it yet because, if it was cocci, wouldn't he be acting off? And also, if the fecal sample was negative, there really is not reason, right?
He gets hay twice a day , water with ACV ,and water without at all times <two buckets, one with and one without so that if for some reason he doesn't want the kind with the AVC in it he will have some without it so he won't get dehydrated>, Minerals once a day, baking soda twice a day, and he usually gets a grain mix (Barley, oats, BOSS, and noble goat) but i haven't been giving it to him because of the scours.
I feel really bad this has been happening... He gets the scours, for about a week, and them it stops. That's happened four times.
What do ya'll think? :confused:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well they said the fecal was negative,maybe should treat for cocci,sounds like he has not been on any lush green grass to do this.his appetite is still good?is he active and full of energy?any fever?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
temp is fine, 101.9, nope, no grass, he did sneak a few onion grasses< got right through the fence when i open the gate> but i really don't think it was enough to cause anything like this. He's acting great and has a BIG appetite.. Just can't figure it :confused:

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I do not trust the fecal testing for cocci. I had a doe test negative and she almost died before I treated her for cocci in a desperate attempt to save her life. She recovered and was fine. So, when I see runny poop, especially in a kid, I treat for cocci. Is he on prevention? I use Baycox now, I treat every kid at 3 week of age. And, any newcomer gets treated asap. You have to get this by mail, so don't wait, get him on Sulmet or DiMethox, asap.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's not on prevention, but he's not a kid either. He is about a year and six months. None of the other goats have it......
I can try to treat for Cocci...... Would the Albon work, or does it have to be Sulmet or dimethox ?
Also, he does this thing with his head <it's hard to describe, he's done it since he was a kid when we got him as a bottle baby>, Kinda like he's looking around. He'll look up, and move his head in a circle. But it's quick he's not staring into space, walking in circles, or falling over. polio comes to mind, but.... I've always thought it was almost like he was talking in scents, looking around for anything new. Cause he does it mostly when he's in a new spot (on a walk, in the our basement). I was wondering if maybe he cold be say lacking in B vitamins/thiamine???? Like not polio but just lacking in them????? Any thoughts? I was thinking that B vitamins are water soluble (?) so it couldn't hurt anyway to give them especially because of the stress scours would cause......

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank all very much!
I do feel better about the head thing now...

Should we go ahead and worm all of our goats (four) since they are kept together drink out of the same buckets ect..

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And the saga continues...
Thought it was actually a intolerance/allergy to his grain, because we took all of it away for a week and he had berries. But, now he's going from berries to clumps to liquid in a matter of a day.... So worried about Johnes, but i know that the breeder had a tested herd so i would doubt it's that. I wanted to treat for cocci because sometimes this doesn't come up in a fecal sample as mentioned before, but the vet is "absolutely sure it's not cocci".
To be honest, i really wish my horse vet could come out. I really respect him and trust him very much. This guy is very good, but he isn't willing to discuss things as much. He says that it's probably just him.. Well i'm no vet, though i strive to learn as much as possible, but i just don't think it's normal. It should be berries, right?
I love this goat and i don't want to watch his health leave him. He is my baby. Plus, he is also the goat i'm supposed to use for showmanship at our 4H fair, i want to make sure he is 100% healthy by then.
I'm at a loss. The only thing i can think of is when he eats a lot of probios (i mean like.. Double the dose for his weight) he has berries. Could he have some bacterial imbalance?
All three of our other goats are the picture of health, perfect berries.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I would get him on GI Soother from Fir Meadow. I'd give it twice a day for a week, then once weekly and every day after it rains. It's herbal so it won't strip him of his flora, and it is a treatment for many causes of scours -- cocci or just tummy upset. GI Soother has helped one of my wethers. He always got a little sloppy after the rain. Now that he's on the soother he hasn't had a single issue.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Danielle, We did find that the grain makes his scours go to liquid. So does the GI soother have any grain in there? that could be a problem... But i will definitely be looking into that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All he has right now Is hay, twice a day. I can't give free choice because he lives with a mini horse who will get colic if he has free choice hay (literally would eat himself to the grave). They have a bond so i would sure hate to separate them. He's at an okay weight.
He has water which i put the ACV in. Get an occasional graham cracker but at this point i'm thinking that's bad for him. Also i just bought a new tub of probios so will start giving that again.
It hit 104 here last week so through that time he also got some of the happy bleats electrolytes through that time. I notice rain/high heat seems to bring it on more. We are worming our guys with Duramectin tonight (we worm a few times a year per our vets introduction)

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I do not trust a fecal for cocci. And, I have a bad attitude about those nasty little fellows. So, when a goat gets poopy...they get treated for cocci. I use Baycox. Sulmet and Di-Methox are quickly available. Please treat this kid for cocci.

I just had a client bring a kid back that was dying...she was sick for 2 days and the children were supposed to be feeding the goats. When she felt better she went out and discovered the sick kid. She called me late in the day, frantic. She got him here just in time for him to die. She was so sad, crying. I tried to make her feel better, but...this hot weather is another type of stress that can cause a cocci "bloom".

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He's not a kid. He's 1 1/2.
the vet found 1 or two cocci eggs. Says it can't be that..
I would like to treat him.. But i also do not want him to have that in his system for no reason.
We had three fecals done. All were clean...

·
Registered
31,461 Posts
if he is on dry lot...his feed and hay dished out..there is nothing for him to sneak too much of...no wet graze..too much grain/mineral or anything then worms come to mind., even though the fecal is clean..I would Worm him with either Valbazen (1 cc per 10# orally) or Ivomec plus (1 cc per 40# subQ)...even though the fecal was clear..he has something going on
I would still treat for cocci..i would order Baycox and dose once..1 cc per 5#
Keep the electroytes offered..probiotics daily to help restore flora..if runs persist I would then go for neomycin..an oral antibiotic that i gut safe..1 1/2 cc twice a day for three days..then give Probiotics for at least a week, again to get the good stuff back in the gut..
One more thing comes to mind with loose stool is stress...heat, fighting, rut and so forth can stress him and cause tummy upset.nothing you can do about the heat..except be sure he has shade..spray the shaded area down a few times a day to lower the temps in that area...keep him hydrated and so forth..if there is a bully among him..be sure he can find a safe haven...

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I think the GI Soother would still do wonders for him, no matter what it is. It fights cocci, bacterial infections, and many other causes of scours without stripping his gut (it actually builds up the flora of the gut). I personally wouldn't want to fill his system with more chemicals, unless you are sure of what you are fighting.

·
Super Moderator
59,755 Posts
You can give Probios daily for the life of the goat. It is fine to do. But I agree with Danielle that you might also want to try GI Soother from Fir Meadow.

Are you sure that the vet checked for coccidia?

Also if the grain is affecting him, I would cut it out. Feed alfalfa pellets.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We have cut grain 100%. We haven't feed alfalfa pellets because he's a weather and i'm not sure he really needs him. but i will look into that-we'll be getting them in time eventually as we plan on breeding for spring babies.
I'll be looking into getting some GI soother. I'm worming with duramectin tonight. I have the cocci meds so i'm going to try and talk to the vet about giving them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts