The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to breed my standard size dairy does to a Dwarf buck this fall for Mini dairy goats but I didnt find a buck I liked.

Anyways, I just got a Purebred Nigerian Dwarf yearling yesterday that is possibly bred to her full brother, but I cant complain as they did offer to lute her for me and I chose not to as at least the kid(s) would be Purebreds. If shes not bred then I plan to breed her.

So I guess my question is Can I safely breed my Dwarf doe to a one of my spring Nubian bucks without a guaranteed failure? Im not worried about the actual breeding because both bucks are roughly the same size and weight as the Dwarf doe, I would be worried about the doe's capability of carrying the kids. I do see pony x draft cross horses for sale so? Please just state if its possible to do or not with a reason why. If its a no then I will not breed her to anything other then a mini breed, I trust the judgment of this forum.

Thanks!

This is Gwendolyn

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well after thinking for a few minuets I pretty much decided not to breed her to a standard. I still would like responses to see opinions but I'm again looking for a dwarf buck.

Thanks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
When you see Draft horses crossed with ponies it is generally a pony stallion and a draft mare and usually it is done with AI. The foal can be too big if done the other way around. I am certainly not a goat expert but I wouldn't risk breeding a very large buck to a mini doe.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
breeding a mini to a standard buck is asking for trouble - I would never suggest doing it for the very fact that the kids could to be big for the mini doe to deliver and then she would either die or need a C section

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what I figured and why I re-posted.

Actually, The pony draft crosses Ive seen are from both combination's, though never smaller then 14hh pony mares that were bred live to drafts. For some reason that is a popular cross here in Maine and the New Hampshire area.

Thanks for the responses.

·
967 Posts
When you breed mini dairy goats, the sire has to be the mini and the dam has to be standard if you want them reg. I dont think it is aloud or a good idea the other way around.

·
815 Posts
Your welcome and I hope that you find the info that you are looking for.

Most people breed a ND buck to a standard doe due to the size issue but I do know a few this year the breed their Mini does to a standard LaMancha as they were just starting to get to small and where not making the size limit. So far they have not had a issue, yet.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont intend to do it, If it does end up happening Ill get the Lute out. I pretty much made up my mind thinking about mature heights of each breeds including lineage. My Nubian boys are from pretty good sized lineage so I decided not to chance it. though I read somewhere about a theory or study that the fetus of most any animal wont over grow inside the dam but instead stay a handle-able size and once born grow a bit faster then an average size cross.

·
967 Posts
Thanks for corecting me on that mistyblue. I cant remember what I read that in but I was pretty sure that was how it went...Well I'm glad I know that because maybe this means I can breed mini oberhaslis without buying a nigi doe.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On another forum I found a thread that was Pygmy/Boer cross and the dam was the Pygmy :shocked: Now I thought Standard bucks to Mini does were bad! Im willing to give the link if you want proof.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts