Nigerians need home in PA

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by whatknott, Jul 20, 2010.

1. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Please see this ad on Craigslist: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/grd/1848375804.html

A friend went to see them and bought two unregistered does. The guy is leaving at the end of this week and she says there are probably about 30 goats there yet. He doesn't seem to want to budge in prices but says the butcher will give him $25 for them. She said they really really need help. Anyone else interested in them - act quickly? I have not seen the goats but did see her two does that she bought. Apparently he has some polled goats as one is naturally polled.

2. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Maybe it's just me but don't you think it sad he will take $25 per goat from the butcher but wouldn't consider taking oh I don't know $40 per doe if you were buying more than one?

Just saying...

3. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    exactly - my friend is hoping that by the end of the week she may get a lowered price. She is afraid that he may move and just leave the goats there - no pasture at all where they were penned.

4. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    If that happens and she doesnt have enough space to rescue them please let me know. I think I am roughly 3 hours from that area. I can bring a horse trailer and help her.

I can be reached at [email protected]. That email comes right into my blackberry too so I would see it anytime.

5. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Is this Brian and Sara from Howling Hills Farm?
    I am on a yahoo group who posted that they need to disperse their goats.
    If it is them , there is a lot of nice animals there, they built their herd on mostly Old Mountain Farm goats.
    I know if I had extra cash right now, I would be purchasing a few.

6. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I thought Brian & Sara @ Howling Hill were in Allentown PA not Fogelsville

7. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    yes, it is - Fogelsville is near Allentown. Sounds like he had great goats and great idea for marketing, but something happened it all fell through.

8. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    If it is them I saw the list of goats and there are some very nice ones from Old Mountain Farm...

I don't have the money this month after already spending almost $1k on my 2 potential herd sires and new doeling :(

9. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    We can help rescue as well (shhh don't tell my husband).

We might be interested in buying. Would like to know for sure who they are before, though. Does anyone know if he is one of the people the above posters are talking about?

10. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    This is the add that was posted on the one yahoo group:

Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goat Herd for sale

Howling Hill Farm is a licensed Grade A dairy farm with registered Nigerian Dwarf Dairy goats.
    Our farm was licensed in Maine, but since, has relocated and been licensed in Pennsylvania. Our herd of dairy goats has excellent genetics, geared toward dairy production. In 2008 our herd tested negative for CAE, CL and Johnes and has been a closed herd since then. Due to unfortunate circumstances in PA, the entire herd of 50 + goats is for sale at very reasonable prices. Some dairy equipment, such as a milk machine and cream separator are also for sale.

Contact me via email or phone. [email protected] 484-504-1084

11. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    yes, it is Brian - I sent him an email reply to the craigslist ad and his signature was on the reply. Send him a reply to the ad that I first posted.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I know these people they will SCREW you sorry but its been done and I know the circumstances around it personally. So be careful PLEASE!

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I still say be careful

But I wanted to add that some of the goats are nice and come from real nice genetics. If you want to know what I am saying abotu being careful contact me and I will give you the scoop but just want to warn you so you dont go in blind.

[email protected]

If anyone gets Penny or the bucks let me know! I have a friend who is owed papers on a doe out of her (just one of the MANY issues)

14. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I wish I could get some, but its a 6hour drive and I have to many goats right now.

15. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    EEEk, Stacey, it sounds like they are JUST the type I would not want to deal with. Not saying they are bad people, just that getting a new goat is tough enough without the added problems of not getting her/his registration papers after paying for a registered doe/buck.

We will probably stick with looking for a buck to stud for our two ladies.

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I just got an email sent to me.... the owner sent a mass email to addresses found on the NDGA member listing, must be desperate to sell if they did that.

17. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Has anyone herd anything about the goats? I have to admit I have been worried about them.

The email I saw last Tuesday said they had two weeks to disperse the herd.

18. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Stacey can you email me the "scoop" on these? My mother's been pestering me about this ad for a week now.

19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I just tried to go to the ad and it says that it has been deleted by the poster. So I guess either they sold all their goats or maybe put a new ad in and deleted the old one?

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA