Nigi - what age is truly the best to wether them?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Cinder, May 14, 2010.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Specifically related to Nigierian's... what is the best age to wether a buckling? Why?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Since I raise pygmy/nigi pets and have yet to have a PB nigi buckling born, I band at 7 weeks...they are leaving at 8 weeks for their new homes and I know that they are doing ok by that time....I won't let a buckling leave without being banded.

3. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Is 3 weeks old too early to band them?

The man I got them from has bred Nigis for over 20 years and always bands around 3 weeks old - he says he has only once ever had a wether with UC problems that he sold and that was because the owner fed the wether straight alfalfa and lots of grain.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I like to band at about 8 weeks, sometimes 7 weeks.

5. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

I band around 7-8 weeks of age. Usually because 8 weeks they are weaned and ready to go to new homes and also because nigerian bucklings are capable of breeding as early as 8 weeks of age. I would personally prefer to wait closer to 12 weeks of age but most buyers want their new wether asap usually. I would never band any earlier than 7 weeks of age...why risk it is the way I figure.

6. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    I'm so glad this thread was started cause I have three bucklings to do this ,, they are mixed and going to the Alternative Livestock Auction that just started this weekend,, I went and saw some uglyyyyyyyyyyyyy goats none of them dehorned either.. should make a killing in the fall..