The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently brought home a little fullblood Nigerian buck. We weighed him in yesterday at 18lbs, tiny little squirt! He's 9 months old, so he should be able to get the job done.

Here's my concern - my doe is only half Nigie and half something full-sized. She's just under 50lbs. Is he going to be able to, er, reach her? He's a lot more squat than her, almost exactly half her height.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Yep...he can reach just fine if you have a down hill slope or even a few blocks behind her.

He seems very small for his age weight wise... average birth weight Nigerian as well as Nigerian /Pygmy kids here have all hit 16-18 pounds by 9 weeks old.... sounds like your little guy could use a bit more concentrated nutrition if he's going to be expending energy with rut.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That is one tiny buck! All of our nigerians are much larger than that by then. For instance, we have a 6.5 month doeling I just weighed. She was 36 lbs. I sure hope that little guy is alright. If he's healthy, I'm betting he finds a way. :)

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Aye, even for a slow growing Nigerian, that is tiny. My slow growing Nigerian doe weighed 20lbs when I got her at 3 months old, she just gained weight very slowly after that. I couldn't imagine a nine month old buckling being that little!

What do you feed him? Mineral, grain, and hay-wise? Has he ever been wormed? When and with what? Was a fecal done? Has he ever been treated for coccidia?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts