Nimble Goats!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jay13, Jan 4, 2010.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Sooooo I go out to give my goats their daily ration of treats, some grain with BOSS mixed in right? I noticed that the containers I put it in...are full of just the BOSS. They have managed to pick out all the "good stuff" and leave the sunflower seeds! I am concerned about them getting enough nutrition as I hope they are both expecting (although one may not be) and due to the weather change, the only other food they have is hay. But they spend their time outside eating what is left of the grass which is all dried up and brown now. Any ideas on how to get them to "eat their vegetables" as it were. Ideas for what to feed them? Its just orchard grass hay, I can't afford alfalfa as its $7-8 a square bale here and they wind up with most of it for bedding... grrrrr
    thank you for your advice.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    haha thats funny - mine love the BOSS

try mixing it in as a lesser amoutn and gradually increase till they are use to the smell and taste, I also mix mine all together ahead of time in the barrel so there is no dusty taste to the BOSS.

3. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Well what is frustrating is they used to ONLY Get BOSS and they loved it before
    Now, they have changed their minds? Also, how much would you recommend feeding to pregnant does? These are FF and I'm worried about complications due to the daddy being a boer and the girls being alpines...

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    feed them BOSS in the morning and grain at night :thumbup:

dont feed to much at the end of their pregnancy -- thats when teh baby does the most growing in size. The crucial development time is the day 60 -120 before and after that you can reduce the grain intake as they dont need as much.

5. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Gah! here we go with delivery dates again! lol

I only know/think that they probably got pregnant in October. It seems like these girls have what is called a silent heat so I couldn't tell when they were interested if the buck wasn't "in residence" and I didn't have a separate shelter set up yet... If I am counting right, then that puts delivery in March some time... so starting in Feb I can cut back on grain? Would BOSS cause too much weight gain in the babies or can I still safely give them some of that each day?

6. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    Mine all love the BOSS, but a while back I started giving them all some vegetable and fruit peelings that would otherwise go in the trash. All of the younger (yearlings) would pick around the fresh veggies for the feed and grain. The older goats really seemed to like this development.

Evan