NMGA

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by TCF-NMGA, Oct 2, 2008.

1. TCF-NMGA

TCF-NMGA New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    As President of the NMGA, I would like to clarify any NMGA related issues or questions that any member here would like to ask and I will explain a little about the association.

The NMGA offers an innovative program; an open herd book and registration of all Miniature goats that meet the NMGA height requirement and breed standard. Promoting dairy, meat, fiber, and pets alike. The founding organization for the NMGA was established in 1999 as a private organization with the purpose to promote, protect and define the Miniature Goat.
    -The NMGA is the official breed association of the Miniature Goat-

The NMGA offers a registry service for ANY goat that meets the height standard. Meaning, goats of unknown heritage AND goats of known heritage. We have members duel registering their NPGA and NDGA goats with us as well. Members choose which direction they would like to take with the building of their herds. They can breed for meat, dairy or fiber.

The NMGA has a breed standard that is unique to the NMGA association which defines the ideal miniature goat.

The NMGA has a show program with licensed judges that judge by our breed standard.

The NMGA herdbook currently holds approximately 300 registered miniature goats to date.

If anyone has any questions or would like to join, feel free to contact me!
    J.Bowles

2. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    what is...
    ...NMGA?
    ...NPGA?
    ...NDGA?
    i raise mini nubians
    i know what MDGA is, TMGR is and ADGA is and ABGA but that's it

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I think..

NMGA is National Mini Goat Assoc.
    NPGA National Pygmy Goat Assoc.
    NDGA national Dairy Goat Assoc.
    Or am I wrong?

As far as i know thats what they are. :scratch:

4. TCF-NMGA

TCF-NMGA New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Yes, Amos is correct.
    MDGA and TMGR "registerable" goats typically also qualify to be in the NMGA herdbook.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What is the cost to become a member of NMGA?

What is the requirements to register a goat - copy of other registration? pictures? height is confirmed by?

What is the cost of registering a goat with NMGA?

What are the pros and cons of registering with NMGA?

I am just curious so that we can have the information posted.

Thank you
    ~ Al

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    alls correct except NDGA is Nigerian Dwarf Goat Association :greengrin:

7. TCF-NMGA

TCF-NMGA New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Hi Allison,

To become a member, it's $5.00. This includes your herdname and your member prefix/right tattoo.

To register a goat, you simply fill out the on-line form or use our printed form. We require a side view picture of the goat and any pedigree information you have for the goat. IF the goat is registered with another association, yes, we need a copy of the pedigree.
    Goats that do not have NMGA registered parents are registered in the foundation herdbook.
    If the parents of the goat are NMGA registered, then the kids are eligible for the purebred book. We have a height chart that determines if the kids are eligible.

If you use the printed registration form, the cost is as follows:
    Doe $3.00
    Buck $6.00
    Wether $2.00
    If you use the on-line registration/paypal, it's $.50 more per goat.

The pros and cons are the eye of the beholder. If you look at the NMGA breed standard (http://www.nmga.net) you will see that the miniature goat is defined as one that is bred for longevity, breedability and structurally correct for meat or dairy. Our standard allows for a duel purpose goat. The standard allows you, to define where you go with your breeding program and accommodates that in the show ring.

One pro would be versatility. For instance, lets say you have a primary NPGA herd (as I do). Every single animal I have may not perfectly fit the pygmy standard. Some may be a little thinner in bone, but are structurally correct. This goat, would not do well in the NPGA ring, but would do very well in the NMGA ring. So that gives me the option of showing those that fit the NPGA standard with that association and those that fit the NMGA standard can be shown in a NMGA ring.

Another pro is the fact that one can take ANY goat that they see fit to introduce into their breeding scheme and use it. For instance. Let’s say that one has a primarily dairy miniature herd (Nigerian). If a person decides that they would like to breed more for meat, they can use a pygmy buck with their does to produce a larger boned kid that will hold more meat.

Another pro is the fact that one can breed in the larger breeds to produce a type of animal they want. For instance. Let’s say you have primarily Alpine herd. You want to keep the udder genes, but you would like to have a miniature sized herd. You can breed a pygmy buck (meat) or a nigi buck (dairy) to an alpine doe to create this.

Some people just like to use the NMGA as a registering service. They like to have a way to keep track of offspring, build a pedigree and have an association behind them.

The possibilities are endless. I outlined just a few examples. That's what makes the NMGA a unique and valuable association for miniature goats. The producer gets to build their herds the way they want them, they are not confined to meat, dairy or fiber standards or color schemes.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    TCF -

thank you for the info - I think the members here will find this information very helpful. I appriciate it.

Since I run an unregistered and registered herd, I think this is something that I would look into more so for the pedigree side of it for record keeping. Typically i use a registered buck on my unregistered does, but it would be nice to have "better" paperwork to give the buyer.

Thanks again.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for informations sake

you say there are shows --- are they all around the country or just in one local area?

10. TCF-NMGA

TCF-NMGA New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    You're welcome Allison!

Good question Stacey.
    Yes, shows may or may not pop up through out the country as members decide. I typically like to have one in my area each year if feasible, but any member at any time can put on a show if they wish.

Typically goats shows within any goat association are sparse and far between. This is the most common complaint for any association.

Most goat registries have a very small herdbook due to the limitations set by the association herdbooks. This is the reason that goat shows are far and few between. The nice thing about the NMGA is the fact that people are not as limited; our herdbooks can hold many, many more goats which means that we have the possibility for more shows.

11. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    So I have Nigerian dwarfs . . .
    I could:
    register/get a herdname from:
    AGS
    ADGA
    and NMGA?
    and NDGA?

or would that be one too many?

12. TCF-NMGA

TCF-NMGA New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Talitha,
    One too many? Please elaborate, I'm not sure I understand your question.

If your asking my opinion, the choice of the association/s you belong to is yours. You have to decide which one/ones fits your needs.

J. Bowles

13. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    what I meant was . . . is there a limit with how many registeries yu register with? **by the way I am planning registering with NMGA later in the year)

14. TCF-NMGA

TCF-NMGA New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Oh, okay, I understand. Thanks for explaining. :thumb:
    No, there is no limit. You can register them with as many assoications as you please.

J.Bowles

15. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho