NMGA

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by dixiegirl3179, Feb 12, 2010.

1. dixiegirl3179

dixiegirl3179 Done lost her mind...

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    I'm wanting to register my herd with the NMGA. I have a couple of questions before I go ahead. So, I need a farm name and then there's a prefix on the animals name. Are these the same or can the prefix be a shortened version of the farm name? I want my farm name to be Parker's little goat farm or Parker's Little Goats, but that's awful long to have at the start of the registered name. Can the prefix just be Parker's? (Parker is my son's name btw). Ex..Parker named our new little buckling Opie (don't know how my 3 year old came up with Opie, as far as I know he's never watched the Andy Griffith Show..he may have with Grandpa lol) ..for a registered name I'd like to call him "I Miss Mayberry"...so could he be just "Parker's I Miss Mayberry" or would it have to be "Parker's Little Goats' I Miss Mayberry". If it's the latter I'll have to come up with a shorter name, like just Parker's Minis or something.
    Also, do they have to be a certain age before they can be registered? I thought I read someone mention on here or another message board that they can't be registerd til 6 months. Last one..with the pictures that need to be submitted..do I just take pictures or are they pictures with the measuring tape shown to verify the actual size of the animal?

Thanks for any help I can get.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Your registered farm name will be the prefix of the goats' name.... Parkers Little Goat Farm does seem long to put in front of a kids name. Parkers Minis is shorter as is Parkers Lil' Goats "I Miss Mayberry".
    When you register your farm/herd name, that is the name given as a prefix.....you can choose your tattoo prefix from the letters of your registered herd name. With the examples of a farm name given...these could be your tattoo, eitherPLG For Parkers Lil' Goats. Or PM1 For Parkers Minis and because the tat sequence needs to be 3 letters or digits thats why I put the 1 in there.

As far as registering...they can be registered as kids. The website has a chart to go by when measuring as well as a color chart when you fill in that info on the forms. The biggest thing to measure besides the height at the shoulder is the cannon bone. From the point where the hoof bends to the knee is the cannon.
    http://www.nmga.net/breedstandard.htm

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Farm name and herd name can be different

Like my farm name that i use on my website is End Of the Line Farm but my herd name is just End of the Line

I think NMGA allows 35 letters but remember that includes your herd name

So the smaller the herd name the longer the goats name can be.

Parker's Li'l Goats is 20 characters so thats a bit frustrating But since Goats doesnt need to be in the name of the actual GOAT You can do Parker's Li'l as your herd name and then add Goats part as part of your farm name. Makes sense? Or even Parker's Little (thats only 15 spaces)

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Duh! :doh: Stacey does make a very good point and why I din't think of the same is beyond me! My farm name is Liz's Sugar Run Minis...registered herd name is Dollys Acre. So my registered kids have Dollys Acre as a prefix and my tattoo is DAH2

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Liz, where's the info on the site that allows you to register kids? I thought I read they needed to be 18" before registering. Maybe I was confused...

Amanda, you're going to want to pick the smallest possible herd name to give you more room to pick whatever name you want for the goats. Our farm is Sterling Acres Farm. We're registered with NMGA as Sterling Acres, but our tattoo is SAF. Our first registered doeling through NMGA is Sterling Acres Calypso.

Just send whatever picture you have of the goat to show colors and confirmation. You don't need to verify the actual size in pictures, just give a wither and cannon measurement.

Parker's Minis sounds great. Gives you more characters to work with. :) Good luck.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would double check with the registry but I assumed that you could register kids that are 0-6 months of age.... the chart on the link I posted above has a set height and cannon length for does in that age bracket.

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I copy and pasted this from their website... Does "must meet height requirement" mean they have to be 18" to register?

HEIGHT- Miniature goats MUST meet height requirements for registration.

Maximum measurements for PUREBRED book:
    DOES
    Height at Withers
    Length of Cannon
    0-6 Months
    18 in.
    4 in.
    6-12 Months
    21 in.
    4 in.
    1 and Older
    23 in.
    4 ½ in.
    BUCKS

0-6 Months
    18 in.
    4 ¼ in.
    6-12 Months
    22 ½ in.
    4 ¼ in.
    1 and Older
    24 ½ in.
    5 in.

Maximum measurements for FOUNDATION book:
    DOES
    Height at Withers
    Length of Cannon
    0-6 Months
    24 in.
    4 in.
    6-12 Months
    28 in.
    5 in.
    1 and older
    30 in.
    6 in.
    BUCKS

0-6 Months
    24 in.
    4 ¼ in.
    6-12 Months
    28 ½ in.
    5 in.
    1 and Older
    30 in.
    6 in.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I emailed them directly. Although NMGA's website doesn't specifically state registering kids, you can. The 18" is a maximum height requirement, that's all.

Just in case anyone wanted to know. lol

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks for doing that Shell, I figured that kids could be registered as foundation, though most mini mixes don't reach full height until they are around 3 years old, I've found that at 6 months, they are normally within 2-3 inches of their adult height.

10. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    How neat, I didn't know this registry existed. I wonder if this would be a good choice for me and my little herd of Minis.

I'm not sure I understand the site fully, can you register unregistered does/bucks as "foundation" if they meet the breed standards?

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Even though my Chief is a registered Nigi with AGS and NDGA...He was still registered as foundation because his parents were not recognized by NMGA as purebred because they were not registered with NMGA.

Yes, you can register as many as you want into the foundation herdbook....it is the offspring of the "foundation" goats that are registered as purebred, and as long as your mini's meet the height and cannon length requirements they can be registered with NMGA

12. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    That's really interesting. I imagine most of mine would meet requirements. Perhaps I should look into joining and registering all the does and my as of yet unborn buck as foundation. The word "registered" sure catches the attention of buyers, even if its a less than popular registration.

13. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    No problem :) I like the NMGA a lot actually. They send papers, answer emails and ship products very fast. They're very friendly. While they may not be as popular, I've had better customer service from them than from AGS. If Moony and Cozy weren't registered with AGS, I'd have solely stuck to NMGA, I'm sure.

I think it's a really good choice for your herd. It's not expensive, you can register animals right online and then you can sell kids as registered pets :) Win win.

14. KGW Farms

KGW Farms New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Scales mound, IL
    I agree with Shell. I became a member too. I have some pygmy and pygmy crosses that are not registered with NPGA. They were rescues so I am not sure if they were even registered at all and if they were I wouldn't be able to get those papers. I emailed so many questions and goofed a few times. Jenny Bowles and I talked back and forth over the email so much....she is VERY nice and helpful. Much more so that some of the other organizations I belong to (like ABGA).

15. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Do you have to tattoo? And if not, what do you put on those spaces when registering? N/A ? Like my "foundations" none have tattoos.

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I believe you give them your tattoo

17. KGW Farms

KGW Farms New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Scales mound, IL
    NMGA does require you to tattoo. They do it a lot differently than other organizations. They go by the year you register them and the number of goats you registered in that year. For example I have a doe I registered in 2010, she was the second doe I registered so far, her tattoo is J2M. The M is always the last letter...denotes miniature. Then the left is your farm prefix...mine is KGW. If your goats are already registered with another association, and have already been tattooed...they will honor them. I have a Nigi that is registered first with AGS and I also have him with NMGA. Does that make sense?

18. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Looks like I'll be needing a tattoo kit along with a disbudder, eh? LOL

Thanks a ton my friends.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats not at all different -- ok the M after it is a bit different but other then that its the same

20. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    What's the difference between the Regular Membership and the Auxiliary?

Also what happens if you have more than 9 kids born in a year, do you just add a number, say Z12M ?

Sorry for all the questions!