The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When choosing a herd sire would you pass on an otherwise nice boy if he had a conformation flaw? Are there any goats without conformation flaws? Which ones would you accept?
I love the lines of both his parents and he looks pretty good otherwise.
I'm overthinking a buck purchase because he has a short brisket, almost none. My does all have nice brisket and of course I'd like to keep it that way. And the bucks dam has nice brisket. This is inherited from his sire.
Appreciate any thoughts.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When choosing a herd sire would you pass on an otherwise nice boy if he had a conformation flaw? Are there any goats without conformation flaws? Which ones would you accept?
I love the lines of both his parents and he looks pretty good otherwise.
I'm overthinking a buck purchase because he has a short brisket, almost none. My does all have nice brisket and of course I'd like to keep it that way. And the bucks dam has nice brisket. This is inherited from his sire.
Appreciate any thoughts.
Hello I’ve been researching goats but don’t have any yet and I was wandering what you men by brisket

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
6,384 Posts
If that's the only major flaw you are seeing, I wouldn't worry about that. Does can improve on bucks too. Brisket is important, but not over other traits. In my opinion especially with kinders, there's always going to be something "wrong". If he's got what's most important to you and will be an improvement on your does in areas you are trying to improve, you've found yourself your man.

Hello I’ve been researching goats but don’t have any yet and I was wandering what you men by brisket
The brisket is where the goat's breastbone is. Goats should have well extended briskets that are level to the ground ideally.
Here on this picture of my doe, it's the place where her leash is touching her chest. 😉

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,029 Posts
I would not pass it up as long as it was a flaw but not a major defect. Meaning if they had bad teats, super weak pasterns, majorly split testicles ect. Structurally if one issue absolutely! I can point out at least one thing that is less then perfect on all my bucks and past bucks. Unless one has endless funds I think we all have a small flaw or so in our sires ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
If that's the only major flaw you are seeing, I wouldn't worry about that. Does can improve on bucks too. Brisket is important, but not over other traits. In my opinion especially with kinders, there's always going to be something "wrong". If he's got what's most important to you and will be an improvement on your does in areas you are trying to improve, you've found yourself your man.

The brisket is where the goat's breastbone is. Goats should have well extended briskets that are level to the ground ideally.
Here on this picture of my doe, it's the place where her leash is touching her chest.
Thank you so much

1 - 9 of 9 Posts