No buck - what's the best way to get does bred?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by environmom, Jan 18, 2011.

1. environmom

environmom New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    San Jose, California
    We are in the city and have our does on a pasture a few miles away. We have no buck. The 2 does are show lamanchas that we want to breed to a champion 2 hours away. We gave them 1.5 ml Lutalyse 12 days ago. Took them to the buck 2 days later when they were both showing signs - mucous, swelling. No dice - neither would have anything to do with the buck. Brought them home, then back the next day. Again no cooperation. We stayed the day and reintroduced them that evening still with no result.

We gave them another dose of Lute yesterday, which was 11 days after the first dose. Administered IM in the neck. Hoping for good, strong heats in the next few days.

I am wondering if there is any way to better our chances of getting these girls bred. There are no bucks around. The breeder stated we can leave the does overnight, but then no one will see a breeding so we won't know if they were bred. Some folks suggest a BOSE shot. Some say they will be in heat in 24 hours. Some say 65 hours. How will we know when it is the right time? Last time, they were mucousy, swollen, but no tail wagging, no calling. Ugh!

These are my daughter's goats and we were all so stressed out after going back and forth last time, and with no result. I think the most difficult part is not knowing what we should do.

Any suggestions?
    Laurie

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    just because you brought them into heat doesnt mean they are ovulating

Get a buck rag from the buck owner and introduce that every day after the lute and see if they show interest (tail flag, lip curl etc).

You can also do this just to see if they are in natural heat - its getting late to actually catch them in a natural heat though - their breeding season is coming to a close

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How does the Lutalyse work on goats when you do that? My only reference is alpacas and we would wait 2 weeks after the shot before trying to breed.

4. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Lutelyse is mainly usedfor 3 things. 1. Aborting does, 2. Inducing does (extreamly dangerous if not to term), 3. helping cystic does get bred.

Lute only helps if they produced an egg to be fertilized. If not, you are just injecting them to be moody.

5. jodief100

jodief100 New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    I have heard, from a very reliable source you can use the CIDR inserts for sheep off label in goats to induce a cycle.

No personal experience but the person who told me has over 40 years in the goat business. He used to have a contract to provide baby goats for display at the state fair and he needed to have them bred off season to have them born at the right time.
    :whatgoat:

6. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    That sounds very interesting if true jodief100 ... I have a girl that is giving me issues, the question being if it is worth $120 and the risk of possible complications to get my girl bred or not.....

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you can use CIDR's in goats. No personal experience but people I know have used them.

8. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
  9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Evironmom if the buck owner is willing I would leave them there for a good 3 weeks.