no goats yet...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by newtogoats, Sep 2, 2008.

1. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Hi all,
    I have so many questions and not sure which thread they all belong in. I've been asking of folks, some are neighbors, some not, and the more I discover, the more there is to know (ain't that always the way). So to begin, I live in the Catskills of New York. Not a lot of land, but enough I think for a couple of small goats. No barn or fence as yet, but will definitely need them both. Our dog Stella is a Bernese and on a radio collar which she doesn't even need anymore since she's such a homebody. I have a daughter just starting kindergarten, so I'm looking to work outside the home for the first time in five years.

As to goats, I'm leaning towards starting with Nigerians, but am interested in what you folks can tell me of the dispostions of some of the mini breeds like the mini-nubians. I really want sweet and friendly! I was thinking of a mother and daughter as companions (and the mother could be in milk already without me dealing with kidding right away), but a lady we met suggested sisters as being really bonded and when we visited, several pairs of sisters or even half sisters were indeed sort of paired up. Anybody else find this to be true. I better go, but look forward to hearing your opinions and ideas. Won't really be ready myself for a bit, but looking for small dairy goat breeders in the neighborhood if that's possible (most of my neighbors that I know have big goats, lots of lamanchas and alpines). More later, Lauren

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome to the Goat Spot Lauren! I have pygmy nigi crosses and a couple registered nigi's....they are truly sweet natured, though I think it's more the way I raised them ...the breed itself is easy to handle because of the compact size but the attitude and nature is more because of the attention they get/got as babies......sisters may be a better option for you if you plan on milking as the bond between mom and baby is sometimes unbroken if they are not separated for awhile...if you want the milk for yourself you'll have to separate the mom and kid, which can be a heartwrenching experience hearing them cry for each other......if you check out the breeders forum you may find a breeder close by you that has what you are looking for.

Hope you get all the info you need...we are always happy to help!

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Hello from PA! And welcome to our little group. I started with fiber goats and then decided the Pygoras (who are great loveable goats) were more work then I could handle, and larger then I thought they would be. But, when we found the Nigerians, we literally feel in love :love: . Mine were not bottle babies, and I was a little worried because they were a little skittish at first. But, they tamed down almost immediately! Now, some take more time then others, but, my experience is that they are just wonderful animals. Registered animals are probably a little more expensive then other breeds, but, if you don't care about that the crosses are great and less expensive. I've heard some scary experiences with the purebred Pygmy's during kidding, I just sold a Nigerian boy to a neighbor who has Pygmy does, he wanted the cross to hopefully have smaller kids. Keep us informed about your search, there are various "topics" that you can use to post specific questions. Also, read through the older posts, that may help with some of your questions. Again, welcome!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    first of all,, how do you do and welcome :newtogoats to a place where you are just going to love.., you picked the right place of friendly and caring people.......I have registered boer fullbloods ,,so I cannot really help you with your question.....................but a very merry welcome.............. :wave: :leap:

5. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i think goats are like dogs
    the are the way they are raised
    does that make sense?
    ppl always told me how mean rotts were
    my gram's rott was a BIG (overweight) baby and would brush against your legs like a cat if you didn't pet her the moment you walked in the door
    it's all in the way they are raised
    if you love on them from the go get they will be friendly loving animals
    if you ignore them they will be wild skittish things

i live in ny in allegany county
    i raise registered mini nubians
    check out my website
    (link in siggy)
    abner, twinkle, tillie, and bambi will be for sale next spring after kidding depending on how many doelings they have
    i could (possibly - depending on kidding) make up a small starter herd of a buck, doe and her kid or a buck and 2 does
    just a thought
    whatever you decide - good luck and God Bless
    and goats truly are like potato chips
    you can't have just one!
    i promised hubby i would only have 3
    i had 14 and sold 6 so now i have 8
    lol
    welcome to the goat spot :leap:

6. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Thank you all for your warm welcome. I don't think I'd take on a buck of my own, which means I'll have to stay in touch! "Heavenly", can you tell me of any general personality differences you've noticed between the mini-nubians and nigerians? I get what you're saying about the upbringing and socialization, but I had heard that nubians were a little aloof and perhaps not as hardy for the colder climates. I'm sure your winters are about the same as ours...can you tell me why you love them so above other breeds? thanks, L

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hello from ak.
    glad to have you here! I know you'll love it. lots 'o fun!

i think that any breed can/will be as sweet natured as the rest. i have boers, they are sweet and friendly, however not as small. lol, minis are sweet, because they are small and easy to handle, but can be just as mean as any other breed of goat, it all depends on how they were raised. i hope i didnt frighten you or offend any mini people, but like dogs ; nature vs. nurture. some dogs are mean and others arent, not depending on the breed.

8. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Yes, I've heard that Boers have really sweet dispositions and I think they are beautiful too. I figure if I love the little'uns and want more milk or more goat, I can always get larger, but really, with a small wooded property, I think little is the way for me to go. Also hoping I can find homes for the kids that come along.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep, minis a great for sm acerage/milk

10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Welcome to TGS Lauren!!! :stars:

11. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Good morning,
    I just watched my five year old climb the school bus steps..sob! But it was wonderful how happy and excited she was. She was really ready.
    So now that you've all made me feel so welcome, I'll just post my questions about snow and wethering and milking and personalities and remedies and EVERYTHING in what I hope will be appropriate sections. And keep on the lookout for neighboring goaties. I thought there was someone wanting to raise mini nubians nearby who posted here. I had been doing a search of mini nubians in new york and it actually got me here. She was goatmama2 I think. "Heavenly", I wish you were closer so we could visit. What's your name by the way, or handle? I'm a little jealous at how many of you there seem to be far away in say, Washington. Oh well, the grass is always greener, I guess that must have started as a goat (or sheep) expression. Later, Lauren

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Lauren,
    Sorry, I missed this before. welcome to the Goat spot. I am sure you will love it here like the rest of us do.

I tell you that comment about watching your baby climb the bus steps, and how hard that was. I am right there with you. i had to watch my daughter drive off to her Senior year. i am so fighting that like you have no idea. I would love to hold her back a few years but she is in Honor classes and I do not think they would let that slide. I tell you hold on to those school years becasue they will FLY by.

Well back to the goats. Sorry I can not help you at all because mine are not at all Mini's, but if I was to get them, I would for sure get one that can be a milker if you would like.

13. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Thank you for the hug Lori, and what beautiful, really noble looking goats! I can't wait to convince my husband that we have the time (now) and the space (Stella will have to share a little...she's the dog, not the daughter).