The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During milking season, can milking does do fine with being fed quality alfalfa hay instead of grain during our milking sessions? They will have access to a complete goat mineral, so deficiencies mineral wise shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Lots of alfalfa, try to add some black oil sunflower seeds - and if you can, try field peas (unless you consider that legume to be a grain, and don’t want to feed it, but it’s not too different from alfalfa).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots of alfalfa, try to add some black oil sunflower seeds - and if you can, try field peas (unless you consider that legume to be a grain, and don't want to feed it, but it's not too different from alfalfa).
I actually wanted to do field peas but they seemed a bit large? Would a mixture of lentils and BOSS be better than just straight alfalfa?

(I don't consider legumes to be a grain)

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I am just wondering...
Where would they be getting their phosphorus?
Just from the hay and BOSS?
(Not trying to criticize).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am just wondering...
Where would they be getting their phosphorus?
Just from the hay and BOSS?
(Not trying to criticize).
It's fine and I thought they'd get all the necessary vitamins and stuff from free choice goat mineral? Is there something else I need to add?

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The total feed should have 2:1 calcium:pphoshorus ratio.
I balance alfalfa (high in calcium) with grain (high is phosphorus).
I just looked up field peas. They are high in phosphorus. You're good!
Just trying to make sure, this ratio works for any unit? If I feed 2 lbs. of alfalfa, I'd feed a lb. of field peas, right?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Just trying to make sure, this ratio works for any unit? If I feed 2 lbs. of alfalfa, I'd feed a lb. of field peas, right?
To be exact you would look up the calcium/phosphorus ratio for each and go from there.
But I think your thinking is correct. Someone else will chime in and give their experienced knowledge.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What are you feeding to lower the protein? Field peas are 24% and alfalfa is also pretty high.
You want to average about 14% protein or you're going to burn your does out really fast.
Right now I'm thinking buckwheat, I read it has 12% protein in it. Pearson square says 5 parts buckwheat to 1 part field peas for a 14% mix.

Also, alfalfa is only one of the types of hay I'm thinking about growing, my other ideas were Teff, clover, orchardgrass and bermuda, but I haven't decided yet. So it may or may not be their sole source of hay.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts