The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure where to start. I've had 4 goats die on me in the last week. One 4 year old nubian doe, one 9 month old boer, one 2 year old boer/nubian, and one 3 month old boer/nubian. The 4 year old nubian and 2 year old boer/nubian were skinny but not alarmingly since they were nursing. The 3 month old doe belonged to the nubian. I now have three 3 month old orphans (at least until they die) one billy from the nubian and two does from the boer/nubian. For a timeline reference, all ate well today. Tomorrow acted off, but laid around chewing their cud and browsing in the pasture. Found dead on third day. No diarrehea, and I've been giving them ivomectin 1.87% horse paste wormer when needed, and free choice minerals and salt. Not sure if it matters, but the weather did turn between hot and humid and cooler and rainy during this time. There is plenty of pasture, and I give some sweet feed every day. I'm out of ideas and running out of goats.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Could of been pneumonia from the weather's ups and down, to worms and cocci. Cocci doesn't always show the signs of scouring especially in an adult but rapid weight loss.
Horse wormers like safeguard, has to be dosed at triple dosage for goats. Here it doesn't work anymore.

How are your other goats gum color, are they pale pink to white?
Is there any way, to get a fecal on them?

Get a temp, if any goat is not eating or acting off.
Be sure they have not been in the direct sun. Get them in the shade for a while or wait til it cools down, if they have been in the sun.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Pueunomia is a possability as Pam mentioned...

Liver fluke has been bad this year as well..Liver fluke hardly shows up until the goat is real down..In this article she calles it Unexpected and undetected..which is so true..Liver fluke is slower than Barpole..it can show in bottle jaw but not always..Ivomec plus or Valbaezen are the only wormers effective against liver fluke..I would go a head and treat your remainding herd..Using Ivomec plus on goat over 6 months old and Valbazen on kids under 6 months old..do this 3 times 10 days a part and then once more in 30 days..do the ivomec Sub Q 1 cc per 40# and Valbazen is oral 1 cc per 10#...Do not give Ivomec plus orally, with heavy worm load it could cause bleed out..Best wishes..
http://www.dairygoatjournal.com/87-1/the_liver_fluke/

If you choose to have a fecal done ( whichis always a good idea) Braerman is the only effective fecal for Liverfluke..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They have free access to the barn and shade trees. The worm paste I used, I did dose at the 3x recommended dose on the package. Their eyelids and gums all appear to be a healthy pink.

Thanks for the info. Now I have a starting point. Hopefully I can save everyone else even though no one shows symptoms. It's terrible just thinking everytime I go to the barn one of them will be dead.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I cant imagine what that must be like.....: (

If all eye lids look pink...per the famacha chart
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UdIIMD6DTL8
I would go ahead and have a full fecal done just to rule worms out..including baerman test for liver fluke..

I would also begin checking temps 3 times a day
with Interstitial Pneumonia also known as , Silent pueunomia, temps can flex...one time canbe normal..next thing you know its sky high...watch for anyone standing alone..back arches..tail tucked,,head down..off feed and water...any one acting even a tiny bit off...take his temp...be ready with a good antibiotic like Nuflor and Banamine...

[quote]The most most difficult to detect and quickest-to-kill type of pneumonia is Interstitial Pneumonia. Death can occur in 12 hours or less. Example: At night the goat appears healthy, but in the morning it is down and dying. No runny nose and no fever -- . just a goat that is off-feed, may or may not occasionally cough, and standing away from the herd because fluids are building up in the lungs (not sitting or laying down, unless it is already at death's door), but may not appear to be seriously ill. The only clear diagnostic symptom is high fever and it may not be present when you discover the sick goat. High fever peaks quickly and then body temperature rapidly drops below normal, misleading the producer into diagnosing the problem as ruminal. Sub-normal body temperature is often a sign of ruminal problems. Temperatures under 100*F should be considered critical, regardless of the cause of the illness.[/quote]

·
Registered
868 Posts
My friend had something very similar happen recently it was Barberpole worms ): she's lost 5 and trying desperately to save the others hers were pale white just a week after worming with ivermec. It doesn't work in the south anymore on many worms ):

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. You also may want to consider having a necropsy done. Definitely get a fecal test done that includes coccidia.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Any chance they are getting into something poisonous in the pasture? Is there clover, alfalfa, or lespedeza in the pasture? Did they display any symptoms before they died that you saw?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any chance they are getting into something poisonous in the pasture? Is there clover, alfalfa, or lespedeza in the pasture? Did they display any symptoms before they died that you saw?
It's possible I suppose. There are some of all three as well as various shrub bushes and briars. The pasture is mainly fescue and various weeds. I noticed no symptoms. Just ok normal goat to dead quickly.

Trying to track down the wormer mentioned in several posts above.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pueunomia is a possability as Pam mentioned...

Liver fluke has been bad this year as well..Liver fluke hardly shows up until the goat is real down..In this article she calles it Unexpected and undetected..which is so true..Liver fluke is slower than Barpole..it can show in bottle jaw but not always..Ivomec plus or Valbaezen are the only wormers effective against liver fluke..I would go a head and treat your remainding herd..Using Ivomec plus on goat over 6 months old and Valbazen on kids under 6 months old..do this 3 times 10 days a part and then once more in 30 days..do the ivomec Sub Q 1 cc per 40# and Valbazen is oral 1 cc per 10#...Do not give Ivomec plus orally, with heavy worm load it could cause bleed out..Best wishes..
http://www.dairygoatjournal.com/87-1/the_liver_fluke/

If you choose to have a fecal done ( whichis always a good idea) Braerman is the only effective fecal for Liverfluke..
Is this the right wormer? Seems like a big bottle.

http://www.ruralking.com/pfizer-animal-health-valbazen-500ml-8783.html

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, check the hay and sweet feed for mold. This humid weather makes it grow quickly.

Sorry for your losses.
I've only been buying two bags of feed at a time and I keep it in an old freezer. We've had plenty of rain so the pasture is in excellent shape, so I haven't been giving any hay.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Is this the right wormer? Seems like a big bottle.
Yes that is the wormer....it looks like a big jug!! good price too...I pay about that much for a small bottle

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Also, check the hay and sweet feed for mold. This humid weather makes it grow quickly.
Goat Polio can act quickly...You would have seen signs..Polio is painful as well.so cries for help would have been heard...there are so many things to look for... sounds like you are leaving no stone unturned..

Symptoms of Polioencephalomalacia can be any combination of or all of the following: excitability, "stargazing," uncoordinated staggering and/or weaving (ataxia), circling, diarrhea, muscle tremors, and blindness. Initial symptoms can look like Entertoxemia (overeating disease). There is a component of "overeating" involved in that the rumen flora has been compromised. As the disease progresses, convulsions and high fever occur, and if untreated, the goat generally dies within 24-72 hours
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Grazing alfalfa, clover, and/or lespedeza can cause bloat, and bloat can kill quickly. You might consider putting out a bloat block or two to help prevent that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just an update. No additional losses. I switched to medicated feed and got some Quest Plus worm paste and wormed the remaining goats. I could not find any of the wormer mentioned above and I didn't want to wait the 3-5 days to mail order. Everyone seems to be ok, a few that were starting to act "off" appear to be back to normal. So it looks like incompetence on the owner.......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts