No kids yet

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by rebelshope, Jun 4, 2009.

  1. rebelshope

    rebelshope New Member

    908
    Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Hello again. I posted pictures of Lily's pooch a while ago. It was said that she was pregnant, but she has not kidding. According to what I wrote down, she should have kidded by now. I was not sure of the date but i took the buck out by at least Jan 15th. I forgot the day exactly so anyway I am giving her until the 15 of June.

    My real question is, if she was left with a buck from Sept to Jan and never took is it fairly certain that she has some issues getting pregnant? She is a nigerian dwarf and was over 2 year old and in good condition.

    I just don't want to keep another pet around. She is a super sweet goat, but I don't want another pet.
     
  2. sparks879

    sparks879 New Member

    That could be the case if you are certain the buck is proven. Another thing is it may be that she has poy cystic overies. which means that she goes into heat but she doesnt ovulate everytime. had a lamancha doe that we just couldnt get pregnant. We luted her one year and she aborted. Aparently she had bred through the fence with the alpine buck. She had made the trip several times to see the lamancha buck to no avail. Another thing is she simply might not like your buck. I had a nubian doe for four years and i never got her bred. We had her looked at vet said she was fine no problems whatsoever. I finally sold her warning the lady she had never kidded with me before. That next spring she had quad bucks.
    I wouldnt give up on her after one season.
    beth
     

  3. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with beth...... :wink: :greengrin: :hug:
     
  4. helmstead

    helmstead New Member

    772
    Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    Yes, don't give up. I have a few does who would like to be able to choose their husbands, LOL. Generally I have to hold them for the buck I choose or they just run and clamp their tails, refusing to be bred. Nature won't always take it's course, sometimes you have to help it along.

    This spring, my doe Holly was penned with my buck, Virtue. She preferred BBB...so while I was off running errands, she simply used her horns to rip up the fence between the boys and was bred by BBB! (ps, haha, she no longer has horns!) My Nubian doe finally had a spring estrus last week. I had to hold her for my Rider buck, as she was flagging at BBB and running from Rider. Once they had bred one time, she was then receptive to Rider. Same deal with Emma...she wanted BBB instead of Maverick...so I actually had to hold her head looking at BBB, and let Mav breed her (if she wasn't facing BBB, she'd flop around like a fish on the line). :doh:

    Try, try again!
     
  5. liz

    liz Active Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I wouldn't give up either...if there are no signs of pregnacy, wait til late July early August and see if she has a stronger heat...I noticed this with my does. They do have heats throughout the year but they are much stronger come the end of July til breeding time in October, if she doesn't show sign of heat you can try to Lute her, but wait til you are sure she's not preggo and hasn't been near a buck. The lute will bring on a cycle and you can hand breed then to be sure she "takes"
     
  6. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree with the others. I would give her another year.

    I had a doe at my house for three months that I found out a couple months ago that never had babies. Now she could of aborted them babies and either the owners never noticed or she truly never got bred. Now we bred her last year and she had beautiful twins. So for her I will re bred her for the them
     
  7. rebelshope

    rebelshope New Member

    908
    Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I will think about it. She is a sweet doe.

    She was hand bred when I bought her. She was bred twice as the 1st one didn't take and she came back into heat. Then I had her housed with my buck. He is proven, he has a lots of kids on the ground for at least 2 farms. He did breed my pygmy, but she lost the kid. It was too big to be born.


    I will wait. I did post pictures of her pooch here and everyone thought for sure she was pregnant, but nothing so far. So unless he got her on one of his last days in the pen- and I saw no activity then, she is not bred. I will keep a watch out though.

    She has not been with a buck since Jan. I forgot to write down the exact date when, but I am pretty sure it was before the 15th.
     
  8. RowdyKidz

    RowdyKidz Senior Member

    Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yes, don't give up!!

    A really close friend had her doe boarded with a proven buck for about 9 months, and nothing. Then in the Fall she put the doe in with an unproven buck and she settled and successifully kidded with a single doe over 2 months ago. :)