The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You're in for a slog...it's very hard doing the massage around the clock every three hours but hopefully it'll be effective. Give her vitamin c every time you massage 1500+mgs. Start at the bottom and work up then the reverse. Up theN down and back again then repeat and repeat for about 30+ mins.
Hang in there!

Have you taken her temp? Don't give the banamine if it's below 101.5 because it can cause a drop. She's turning down food/grain? Can you give her some fresh pine branches? They're also packed with vit c and might pick her up a bit.
So her temp was 102.9 and then 102.7; one taken yesterday, one today. I went ahead with the Today treatment but continued to massage which surprisingly she doesn't mind me doing. She was content to munch on hay for awhile. This afternoon around 4, she surprised me going to and accepting grain just like her old self! And while I forced some fluids down her early in the day, she took a couple of nice long drinks of warm water. She seems perked up as she came out of the barn to nose around. The bag is still hard but I have been massaging a bit. I will try again. And I can definitely give her some pine branches. Thanks for encouragement! It has been a rollercoaster ride; one I want to be over...

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
I've been so worried about her that I would be perfectly relieved for that to be the case. I just came in from working on her. And indeed, the udder isn't hot still. It is hard. She doesn't seem to mind my rubbing on it until she gets bored of standing. I know she's not herself because she actually turned away from grain (!) but was happy to munch on hay while I massaged. The udder is awfully hard. I'm in the process of getting some banamine to hopefully provide her with some relief. REALLY appreciate all of the feedback. I have decided that if she can survive I would be more than happy to take one her babies and bottle feed it if she can just feed the two smaller ones from one side. These are pictures of her bag. It's her left side that I've been working on. Unfortunately she was a fabulous provider for two very robust kids last year but if she can care for her's for a little longer I'm happy to keep her!
Ask the vet for a whole bottle of the banamine! It is not very expensive. Give it thirty min before you go out to work on jer udder so it has time to work. You are doing great!

Have you checked the actual orifice to see if maybe there is a small piece of skin covering it somehow? Almost like a scab.

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
Have you been putting warm compresses on her udder?
I use a hot water bottle for 15-20 minutes, it keeps in the heat longer.
Then try to milk her to see if you can get anything out, massage/knead her udder for another 15 minutes, then try milking her again.
Do it 2 x a day.
It is a lot of work but helps to break it up in between treatments of teat infusions.

·
Registered
29,990 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have been working Georgia's bag as much as I can; at most 2x per day. Now this weekend I can really get out there more. She stands so well for it, it must feel good. The outside has softened. Now it just feels like there's a brick IN her bag. I've introduced bottles to the two smallest; both girls, and they take a few ounces at a time but all are still eating from her. She's taking her Vit C with every massage session and drinking water. She's still crazy for grain and while I know she needs it I'm trying to balance giving her enough to make milk but not enough to combat work with her udder as I believe heavy grain and 3 babies was part of the cause of this! We are still working on it! Kids are all growing! And this morning I woke up at almost 9 because the last I went out was at 3! Headed out again...Sooooo happy it's the weekend! Happy weekend to you all! Here's her big boy; 10 pounds at birth. When you pick him up he falls asleep in your arms. Last picture is all 5 from both does. Seeing them is when I know they're worth it!

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Have you been putting warm compresses on her udder?
I use a hot water bottle for 15-20 minutes, it keeps in the heat longer.
Then try to milk her to see if you can get anything out, massage/knead her udder for another 15 minutes, then try milking her again.
Do it 2 x a day.
It is a lot of work but helps to break it up in between treatments of teat infusions.
I had been taking out water that was almost boiling to start with but I like the hot water bottle idea. The water does cool down fast. I'll pick one up next time i'm out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks all for the encouragement! I thought bottle babies were tiring! Going through that with her congested udder beats everything. It's nearly completely soft now. It does not get as large as the side she is nursing from but barely produces anything unless the kids are just nursing it all out. Is it possible the time has passed for this side of her bag to produce? I can get 2 consecutive streams and then nothing. Do you think it may slowly build up? Hoping that in the long term it will produce again...Thanks again for support!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Thanks all for the encouragement! I thought bottle babies were tiring! Going through that with her congested udder beats everything. It's nearly completely soft now. It does not get as large as the side she is nursing from but barely produces anything unless the kids are just nursing it all out. Is it possible the time has passed for this side of her bag to produce? I can get 2 consecutive streams and then nothing. Do you think it may slowly build up? Hoping that in the long term it will produce again...Thanks again for support!
Nice work! If the bag softened up and it's actually making a few squirts, then there's hope it could produce again. Good luck!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts