The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering - Honey had no milk this morning, and the litle bit I did get, she dropped two marbles in - her teats are sore, because she got them all scratched up when she was out and about, (she is going to be indoors permanently now)colustrom, - and I know dusky will have very little, and was going to buy some lamb colustrom this morning. Hoping Honey's milk supply comes back up, I will get her some dairy nuts this morning anyway. But if all else fails - at what stage can I give the milk replacer - (I put a pro-bio multi vitamin in the milk replacer every other day - (one that I got for myself and never remember to take!). Worried about dusky's two as they are just born and I don't think I got enough colustrom into them yet.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if she is nursing them as they seem to be hungry whenever I go into the shed, they are running around, but her bag looks empty. Dusky's two are doing fine, standing up now. Can nubies be a little slower to stand up and jump around? - Honey is 3/4 Nubian, and whereas I thought that maybe nibs the tog was the daddy, it may have been george the nubie, because it duskys two look exactly the same and she is an alpine mix. . Also - found another one this morning after getting back from the co-op, a little white boy, very weak, have him in the kitchen now, with the oven door open, low heat. I have put some colostrum down him - I got him at 10.45 in the shed it is now 2.48, he is still alive. He would be out of guy and what my son calls Lab Mouse number 8 - from the tag (a lot of the BS, look alike) . Just wondering if the LA could have caused some to give birth a little earlier, as in my book, it would have seemed I had at least 2-3 weeks with this one. eyes are open though. Moving around more than he was.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
if he was that premature he wouldn't be alive and he would be mostly bald. I doubt he is 2-3 weeks premature. He still maybe a premie though

If you are worried about Honey's boys you can bring out a bottle and see if they are interested. With nursing triplets I am not surprised that you can't get any milk out of her, they probably are taking it all.

As to the nubian question - that I don't know

·
Registered
254 Posts
It is hard to know if babies are getting enough when they always seem hungry and mama always seems empty. I have learned to feel their bellies and watch for them to pee. If you can feel some in their bellies, that spot in front of the hip bones, with out touching your fingers together they are getting some. (Yes, that is very hard to explain, I hope you get the idea.) If babies are up and about, then they are likely getting some. Of course they never seem to think it is enough, lol. I had twins born 2/14 I was very concerned about, seemed mama had NO udder. The kids kept nursing though. I tried supplementing them and the most one ever took was 4 ounces. Mostly they would be real interested int he bottle, then not actually want any. I figured out mama was giving them enough. They are two weeks now and mama has developed a nice udder, even if a little small. I have two others I am bottle feeding, are now a week old. Before I feed them, their bellies are very sunken, I can touch thumb and middle finger together, if I span over the back bone in front of the hips (does that help any) then after I feed them, their bellies feel full and I could not even touch thumb to finger there. I am giving 6-8 ounces a feeding three times a day. When I tried to give more at one time, they got the poops. They wtill want to eat more, but I don't want them to get too much and get the runs.
HTH, good luck with your little ones. :hug:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts