No Poopy in 26 hrs....worried

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tog Lovers, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Yesterday we went a got a 5 day old buckling. He is bottle fed and is eating well (20 0z ever 12 hrs) He hasn't pooped since we got him and we are a little worried. :worried: It may have been too long of a ride for him as it took us over 11 hrs to get home in the snow storm. Other than no poopy he seems fine, is playing and jumping around. Should we be worried or should we give him another day to get adjusted? Is there anything we can give him? We do have some probiotic powder.

Thank you for any advise you can give.

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    I would up the feedings a day. With just twice he could be over eating and get Entrotoxemia. Try three or four times a day.

3. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Thank you!!! I questioned the girl we got him from about that. I had read that 12 - 14 oz 3 times a day was recomended. But she seemed so adamant. I know that over eating is dangerous...are there other signs we should look for. And when do we really worry and call the vet.

4. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    What are you feeding him? You might want to try a soapy warm water enema with a syringe without the needle. Constipation can kill very young kids. I would definatly feed less amounts more often.

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Also, when I was bottle feeding a deer, we had to massage her rectum with a warm wet cloth to make her go poo...maybe you could try that. It mimicks the mother licking them.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

he may be a little constipated, it happens a lot in young babies. Take a couple suringes full of warm water minus the neele and put the water into his little bottem. I bet you will see him poop within a couple of minutes.
    beth

7. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    OK. We tried a little warm soapy water. Not sure how much we got in. He did go a tiny bit. I mean tiny maybe about as much as a 2 peas. it was kinda on the runny side but I expected that with the water. So how much should he poop?

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I to also recomend that at that young age he needs to be eating like every 2 -3 hours with only a couple ounces of milk.

20 ounces at once for such a young boy can give him bloat or cause the bacteria in gut to get out of sink causing endotoxemia (sp?).

As he gets older you can spread out the feedings an up the amounts per feeding.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have bottle babies here that are 6 weeks I think tommorrow. When I got them the first time at 3 weeks, they were eating 3 times a day and more when they were younger. I am just starting to ween them right now to 8 oz 3 times a day, and they will loose their lunch bottle by mid week or so.

10. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Well still no poop this morning. :( He didn't get up to eat at all last night. Rich thinks that means he was getting too much and wasn't hungry. No crying or anything. I gave him 8 oz of goats milk this morning and I think I'm going to try 8 oz 4 times a day and see how that goes. He is playing and very active. Doesn't act like he isn't feeling well. Doesn't cry unless he wants attention. He is peeing alot. At least that part works right. LOL! Hopefully he will poopy today. If not we don't know what to do.

11. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    What kind of milk are you feeding him and how much soapy water did you use to put in him. With a 2lb baby I used 4 cc so you would need more for a larger baby.

12. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    We are giving him the milk they gave us. The girl I got him from was milking when we were there and gave us some milk. She said to just stick it in the fridge when we got home and heat it when we feed him. For the enema I used a 3 cc syringe and I'm pretty sure I got at least 6 cc in him. I made it about as soapy as I used on my kids when they were babies. I hope I didn't mess this up. It's really upsetting me that something may be wrong and I may not be doing what is best. I'm thinking that we should get some milk replacer at Tractor supply. Maybe there is something wrong with the milk. We did keep it in a cooler on the way home but now I'm wondering.

13. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I'm sorry you are going through this :hug:

I will be praying for your little buckling :pray:

14. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    OK. At 11:30 am today still no poopy. So I tried an enema of just plain warm water (about 6cc). About 4 mins later he pooped a little, maybe about a teaspoon full. And 15 mins after that another teaspoonfull. The poop is ORANGE! Kind of a little mucasy, but is mostly a soft solid and shaped more like a little elongated peanut. He is still very active, peeing well and eating. Would some probiotic powder help? Or is he too young. And if I give it to him how much do I give? Do I just put it in his bottle? :worried: I don't want anything to happen to him just because I didn't take care of him right.

15. Sara

Sara New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Ellensburg, WA
    Baby goats that are eating milk will have sort of yellow/orange poops. So I think you are okay.

16. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Whew...thats a relief. I was really starting to worry.

17. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yes the color is good and the reason I kept asking you what you were feeding him is that kids on goats milk poop less often than ones on milk replacer. I would not recomend you switch him to replacer and instead before you run out of goats milk you start mixing in whole cows milk to ease the switch. But if you can continue to get goats milk that is best. I doubt the milk went bad.

18. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i really don't have any thiong new other than what every one else said. i do know that 20oz twice aday is way to much at one time. i alsway figure a half gal per kid per day. i have a house baby now that is about 3 mos old & she is a nubian/boer cross & she gets 12 oz at 5am,12 at noon & 12oz at 7pm. i forget how old you said he was but if he is 2 mos or under i would give him 4 feedings a day. also i agree with beth that if you can not get goats mile whole cows milk is better than powdered milk. just make sure it is whole milk & not skim or 2%. whjen i have had a little one that was constapated my vet had me give him 1/2 cc of dmineral orally & then take a q-tip & put it in mineral oil just a little & then rub it around just inside of there rectum