The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have these bad again this year. For those blissfully unfamiliar they are midges. Bites are super itchy and last a week. I have yet to find anything that repels them. I think they are driving my goats nuts too. Does anyone have any suggestions. I spray them with Bronco fly spray but I don’t think it does much. When I go out to put them up at night they are swarming my face. I can’t imagine sleeping out there.
I’ve tried No-Noseem, skin so soft, listerine, lemon eucalyptus, citronella, vinegar. Deet. Makes me want to stay indoors :(

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WE have bats that flit around and tons of birds. I read somewhere a mono of 3:1 listerine:baby oil. I have both on hand so I might try it. I got this white mountain oil stuff at tsc. I’ll let you know.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Yeash I hate those things!!! We have them where I'm at but they are few and far between so I never tried to get rid of them.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are awful. I get crushed by mosquitoes too. But these bites last sooooo long. Sometimes 2 weeks. My arms look like a junkie.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,582 Posts
Ugh I HATE those things! I never really felt like they were biting me, but they fly around my face and land in my eyes! (headsmash). If there was one animal that I would attempt to extinct it would be those. The only thing that I have found to repel them around me is smoke. I don't mean take up cigarettes, but something a handy man did when working on a project outside or house was to make a tiny little fire and stick his face in the smoke ever once and a while. My sister is a bee keeper so she has one of those smokers you know, I have considered keeping that around to smoke them out of the air. We also just bought some tiki torches at Lowes that we are going to try using to repel them.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
We have these bad again this year. For those blissfully unfamiliar they are midges. Bites are super itchy and last a week. I have yet to find anything that repels them. I think they are driving my goats nuts too. Does anyone have any suggestions. I spray them with Bronco fly spray but I don't think it does much. When I go out to put them up at night they are swarming my face. I can't imagine sleeping out there.
I've tried No-Noseem, skin so soft, listerine, lemon eucalyptus, citronella, vinegar. Deet. Makes me want to stay indoors :(
Would a treatment for your immediate yard like Mosquito Barrier or Garlic Barrier work for the no see ums? I don't know where the little midges live when not making life miserable.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,582 Posts
I don't know where the little midges live when not making life miserable.
They live in wet areas like in forest and rotting wood. Quoted from todayshomeowner.com tips on keeping gnats out of your "yard"
  • Keep your garden free of mold, fungus, and rotting plant debris. Pay particular attention to shady areas with poor air circulation. Put your compost pile as far from the house as you can, cover your trash cans, and keep fallen debris cleaned up.
  • Amend your garden soil to improve drainage.
  • Occasionally rake or turn your mulch to allow sodden, moldy layers to dry out.
  • Make sure you have no standing water in gutters, drainage areas, or low spots.
Yeah, like any of that is possible when you live in a forest.:mad:

·
Registered
223 Posts
They live in wet areas like in forest and rotting wood. Quoted from todayshomeowner.com tips on keeping gnats out of your "yard"
  • Keep your garden free of mold, fungus, and rotting plant debris. Pay particular attention to shady areas with poor air circulation. Put your compost pile as far from the house as you can, cover your trash cans, and keep fallen debris cleaned up.
  • Amend your garden soil to improve drainage.
  • Occasionally rake or turn your mulch to allow sodden, moldy layers to dry out.
  • Make sure you have no standing water in gutters, drainage areas, or low spots.
Yeah, like any of that is possible when you live in a forest.:mad:
Well I'm screwed my whole 5 acres is rotting wood and mulch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts