No singns of goats going in heat

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Silvi, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Silvi

Silvi Member

Apr 18, 2020
    Lithuania, Europe
    Hello,
    I have a small situation here and I hope fore some input with ideas and experience. So I am new to goats. I have two milking goats we bought this summer and it's about time to start thinking about breeding. The thing is I see just some weak sings that one of goat can be in heat, but it's not enough to keep taking her to buck to check. Other one seems like not going on heat at all. I read that if you have only two goats they can be very quiet when on heat, like no buck miles away so why bother :) I do know about buck rug and this is something I am considering, but I have few other things I am also considering now since buck is quite far away and I start to see problems with taking those goats back and forth to him with potential not to be bread at all. So, I am thinking to buy a buck after all, keep him with goats and this way be sure they are bread (renting might not be possible, not sure about that yet). I read a lot about advise not to buy a buck if you have only couple of goats. So I am a bit at loss about that. Other thing I read is possibility to milk goats more than a year after kidding. Some say they milk up to 7 years and happy about it. I just love this idea if it works cause I have no need for kids (I have mix breed goats just for our needs and will have to cull kids for meat). Had anyone done this or is doing still? This way I can get a buck and sell it later or give away or butcher as a last resort.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Some does will not be loud and proud about their hears when a buck is not around that is true. But their lady bits usually swell just a bit, ay e a bit of mucus, tail flagging more than the norm, more vocal.

I have a doe that i have been trying to dry up for oh three months.... she has been in milk over a year and half now. Her kids were weaned in april of last year. As long as they are milking there is no need to breed if you are happy with the supply she gifts. And so long as everything is ok with the doe. ;).

MadHouse and Silvi like this.

3. Silvi

Silvi Member

Apr 18, 2020
    Lithuania, Europe
    Thank you for the answer. I did notice some mucus second time now this fall, that's why I think one is in heat, but I would like to be sure before going to buck and she shows no more sings.
    Glad to hear I can milk them longer than a year! I need to refresh this year cause last owner kept them with kids without milking, so they dried up a bit and I wish for more milk.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Nice to see you again!
    Did you end up keeping the doe that was not tame or did you sell her and buy a different one?
    I have been milking one of my does since May 2019. I decided to breed her again this year because her milk is slowly decreasing.
    But I do like the idea of milking them for as long as it is worth it.
    Good luck!

Silvi likes this.
  5. Silvi

Silvi Member

Apr 18, 2020
    Lithuania, Europe
    I did buy another goat after all, that one was too dificult to handle and turned out to be not too healthy. We left her to a woman from which we bought both first and now third goat (scared one was a rescue). We called her Bee and she is very nice one. Nice for you to remember :)
    It is so good to hear you can milk goats for few years. That will be my goal now since we don't need lots of milk anyway.
    Is it a good idea to just leave them with a buck for couple of month and do a guess work when to stop milking since I might not know when they breed?

MadHouse likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    There is nothing wrong with getting your own buck. However, it isn't fair to meat him out after he finishes his job. Poor dude. Just my opinion. ;)

The trick is, get a good buck, so it is easy to sell him after you have used him.

Get a buck rag and test the does that way. Having a 2 doe herd and no buck around for them to smell, some does are harder to see when they come into heat.

Silvi and MadHouse like this.
  7. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Even if I only had two goats I would buy my own buck, so I think that’s a great idea. And I would probably go about it the same as you plan to. Get them bred and get him gone. That was actually the plan when I first started in goats but then I went down the registered rabbit hole lol but it doesn’t matter what anyone says should be done, you do what you want to do. Getting a buck you will know that the does are for sure bred (well as long as he and them are good) and you can time it for whenever you want kids, not when it’s convenient for the owner of a rented buck.

8. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Do know that how long a doe stays in milk depends a lot on management including feed and minerals, and a big one which is genetics. Some may milk over a year, some may dry up within the year especially first fresheners. I prefer not going to a buck that is studded - health issues, stress etc. can lead to problems. I have kept a buck for a season and moved him on.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Remember too, you may want to hold him, until 18 to 21 days, before getting him gone.
    I actually wait until 25 days after the deed and if no does come into heat again, then I will remove the buck.

Write it down on the calendar, when you see a doe in heat or being bred.

Sometimes, does may not take on the first heat, it might be a false one.
    Or come in season every 5 days for a little while, before settling.

Silvi, goatblessings and MadHouse like this.
  10. Silvi

Silvi Member

Apr 18, 2020
    Lithuania, Europe
    Thank you all for the answers! Now I pretty much have an idea what I will do, and that is to find a buck - rent for two month or buy one. These goats keep coming with things for me to solve, lol :) But well, it's like that with everything new.

MadHouse likes this.
  11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. Silvi

Silvi Member

Apr 18, 2020
    Lithuania, Europe
    _20201025_151712.JPG

So we are happy owners of a new buck :) Still youngster, but should do it's job. Thank's all for replies :)

13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  15. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Good luck with your new boy! He looks excited!

Silvi likes this.