NOA - Native on Appearance Questions, Ready to send in....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sweet Gum Minis, May 18, 2009.

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Ok, I have a doe named Darcy. I got her last year through a trade and there were no papers involved though it was thought that she may be able to get papers later on. Well I've had her for 7 months and still have no papers so I'm ready just to send her in as a NOA.

So my questions are, what herdname does she get? Does she get one at all?

Do you leave the sire,dam and breeder sections blank on the application?

I also need someone to write a letter explaining that she does conform to the Lamancha standard. Someone offered last year but I don't remember who it was. She is a full size dairy doe and is actually a little larger than my other two Lamanchas Meg & Birdie. She has elf ears. Here are photos of her back when I got her...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't taken new photos of pretty much any of my goats yet this year except those who went to a show a few weeks ago. So I'll be doing that gradually starting soon.

2. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I too would like to know, because I am planning to do the same thing with my Alpine doe.

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yeah, this year I'm planning just to do minis but that's always subject to change. Besides, I can't register any offspring she may produce in the future without getting her registered. She's a very nice doe and comes from a herd with really nice udders so I'd love to be able to show kids from her one day.

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah, I would like to do the same. I have a beautiful Alpine doe, and would like to show her kids. Don't know her origins though. I'm planning on buying a nice buckling from Redwood Hills. I figure if I get a really nice buck, it will even it out a little since I'm going to have to register her NOA. Later on I can afford some nice registered does.

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I've seriously considered an Alpine or two, just haven't taken the plunge. Didn't want to get more breeds than I was comfortable with. So I figured with the Lamanchas I should just hold on a while. Minis would be so easy to breed with Alpines though. ;)

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    For a herdname, she gets "The" in front of her name. You can add your herdname example: The SGM Darcy Leave the sire and dam blank, or put 'unknown/unregistered' there.

I can write up a NOA statement, send me an email goathappy@gmail.com so I don't forget.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I don't think she can be registered as NOA because of the elf ears.

8. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Elf ears are accepted in does, but not bucks, but bucks can't be registered as grades or NOA anyway so that wouldn't matter.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm sending it now, it may take a minute since gmail has a hard time with attachments.

According to the breed standard, does can have elf ears so I don't think that should matter.

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I got it thanks! I can update once I get it sent out and hear back whether or not it works. Hope it does!

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Completly understand. I have one Alpine and one Nubian doe. I don't like to crossbreed, but it is too expensive to have to find 2 different bucks right now. I would not have gotten the Nubian, but she came with my Alpine, and her milk will be good for butter and cheese.

I have an old pygmy, and a couple of hair sheep (barbados). When they are gone, they're gone. I won't replace them. Just too many different breeds of animals in one pasture for me. (and that isn't really that much! LOL)

12. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'm always tempted to keep minis so that's my problem. If I just bred them and sold all the kids then I could have more than one standard breed. My Nigerian bucks would suffice the buckly needs so I wouldn't have to worry about studding or buying a standard buck or two. I don't even want to imagine how to house a standard buck.

13. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Hey Ashley, at least with the mini LaManchas you wouldn't have to work with getting the correct color. I dont know how easy or difficult it is to get the correct coloring with the Alpines-but I bet it would be a tad more difficult than it was with the mini oberhaslis.

14. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    You can do what i'm going to be doing(at least 'till a really good offer comes along that I can't pass up) I'm just going to A.I. or find someone locally with bucks that I can use(which I do have someone locally I know that I can use their bucks). I'm also getting LaMancha semen here shortly-so maybe this year I can finally learn to A.I.

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Actually correct coloring for Alpines is one of the most easy to acheive, since there are so many colors. The only colors that aren't "correct" is solid white, and toggenburg coloring. They can be any other color.

16. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'm like 30 minutes from Split Creek which is a Grade A Dairy and Evin Evans is also a judge and does a lot of showing so its a good herd to pull buck genetics from. So that's an option for breeding. My problem is the does cycling at inopportune times which makes breeding difficult.

I've considered buying a buck to use for the fall and selling or something like that but I don't really want to have to buy one and house it. Too big! LOL

As for AI, my vet does AI with a lot of horses, I imagine I could consult with her about that and probably come out well on that. Then just bring the does in heat and have them done.