NOA, Recorded Grade, Experimental Help Needed

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sweet Gum Minis, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I raise Nigerian Dwarfs and have dabbled a little with Mini-Oberhaslis in the past. Right now we also have 2 Lamancha junior does. I have someone offering a third to me for a trade for services. She is a 50/50 Lamancha/Nubian. Her sire isn't registered though he is from good lines I was told. I'm waiting on pedigree info. Her dam too is suppose to be nice. Anyway, so she wouldn't qualify for registration except as a Native On Appearance. So I'd need an unbiased ADGA member to say yes she looks like a Lamancha and then she could be registered. Its like the lowest form of registration I think for goats registered with ADGA but its a start. By breeding her to purebred Lamanchas her kids could move up a grade and so on. After a few generations her grandkids etc would be American.

My goals with her would be mainly for minis and milking. She's only 3 1/2 months old right now so that pretty much means she's not going to be old/big enough for breeding until next fall when she'd be a yearling. That's fine by me as she wouldn't really produce the type of minis I would want by crossing to a Nigerian so I would need, hopefully, a gopher earred mini buck to breed 1st generation minis with. She could always be bred to purebred Lamanchas too so she'd produce good kids for me too either way.

So what I need to know is if she'd be registerable as a NOA. Here she is...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you think? In order to use her in Mini programs she does have to be registered though she doesn't have to be American or Purebred or anything. I'm really new to how NOA, experimental and recorded grades work so any help you can offer would be great.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yes, she can be registered as NOA LaMancha, if you need a statement, email me goathappy@gmail.com and I can send you one.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Goathappy,

Can you please explain to me how the process for this works? I bought the pure bred Nubian this weekend and they said I could come buy the registration papers if I wanted to at a later time or I could register him and my female as NOA. I am not sure exactly how that works or if I should get the registration papers for the buck and only register the doeling as NOA and then how would that affect the kids born from these 2?

Since Nigerians don't have this option (which I wish that they did) I am very unfamiliar with it.

Thanks

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Thanks Sarah!

I'm glad Nigerians are not open to this. Could you imagine how many mixed pygmy cross goats we would end up with? The reason they allow it with standards is they don't have the problem Nigerians would. Size could also be an issue if they opened up the herdbook to grades too. It would be harder to keep them the breed standard size or smaller.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well first off, it depends what you want to breed for. If you have the option of getting papers on those two then I would do it, because then you are spending less generations waiting to get those animals back to American status, it takes 2-3 generations to do that.

Second, you can't registered bucks as grades or NOAs, bucks have to be American or Purebred, meaning they have to come from American or purebred stock.

It really depends upon what you want to do for your herd, I prefer registered goats, because then I have the option to sell them as unregistered if thats the way the buyer wants them, and I have registered goats with pedigrees and records for those buyers that want all that(and I prefer the records and pedigrees myself)

Do you have the options of buying the doe's papers too? Do you know if they are purebred or American? If they are purebred, and you choose to get papers only for the buck and then NOA the doeling(NOA is Native on Appearance for those who wanted to know) then 2-3 generations later you will have American Nubians which will stay American. With Nubians you cannot go from American to purebred, that is only with LaManchas and Sables.

And I agree with Ashely on NOA and Nigerians, there are so many people who would be trying to register pygmies as Nigerians so its really best that the Nigerians herdbook stays closed so that the breed can be kept pure.