The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. can anyone tell me-- we live on a pheasant hunting ranch-- how a goat would mind the sound of gunshot in the area. I know, hang me! If you have experience with goats and NOISES your feedback is appreciated,
thank you! ( am new here, not sure my way around yet )

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Well it would probably depend on how close it is to them. Pretty close and it will startle them. If they hear guns go off now and then, they should get used to it somewhat, but i'm not sure if they'll ever be totally okay. I don't know how much stress that would cause them. You can help them out by feeding them a special treat every time there are gunshots going on. They should come to learn the noise is nothing to worry about and they even get a treat when they hear it. We have pheasant hunters around here, not real close to my goats, but they can hear gunshots off in the distance sometimes during hunting season and it doesn't bother them at all. So I guess it would depend on several factors...distance, frequency, etc.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Mine aren't too worried about it. Everyone here shoots everything you can imagine including the neighbor 2 places down that has a .50 caliber rifle. It's just part of their life. I take my big boys hunting with me and they startle very little at rifle fire at close range. They even drag the deer back to the truck for me. :D

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
My goats are use to gun shots, we shoot every once in a while in the back yard and they did startle bad at first, then now, they go about their business after they see it is us. ;) Be there, when the shots are going on at first to ensure them it is OK, after a while, they will get use to it. Well mine do anyway.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Gunshots don't bother mine. They have been through pheasant season, duck season, deer season, and just plain old shooting for the fun of it - all within a distance of several hundred yards to about 1/2 mile. About the only thing that flips them out is the crop duster plane. :laugh: They hate that guy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to have goats like that, I am definitely in over my head with the hunting activity; I mean I am not here all day so the goats would be on their own a lot. I am thinking that as soon as they get here I will have a few rounds go off while they are feasting? I can use all the advice I can get- thank you !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The goats have not arrived yet. I was thinking of getting some good buckets and wiring them inside the goat barn and filling them with "treats" I dont know what a goat treat is really, but I had bunches of flowers, fresh vegies from the garden and some bunches of comfrey in mind.. what is a goat treat? I heard raisins. I need the Goat Treats for Dummies guide, ha ha
thank you! and how about brushing and petting and massaging would that be a treat?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how many goats do you have? I live with a hunter, I am fine with the packing idea too. But I am wondering how your goats were first exposed to gunshots?

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
They weren't treated or babied. They were put out and allowed to learn that they are not harmful. If you treat them and praise them while they are afraid it will encourage fearful behavior. They will run to their house to begin with. Nothing in there should encourage that behavior. They should eat outside, they WILL figure out that the shots don't hurt them on their own.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I agree, mine did that with firewroks. Year one...jump, yell and run to the barn. By day two of crazy fireworks, they merely turn their head and look, stay lying down and chew their cud. Now, if only dogs were that easy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I follow you; ha! the more details you share the easier it is for me to translate. (opinion developed by description). Could you describe how you manage the goats- what the shelter and the range looks like and what sort of routine they have?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats very encouraging. the hunters are going to be much closer to us; so the first time they startle, do you think it would be like a deer bounding away from a lab-- like springing and fast-- or will the goat actually be headed for its safety zone in the barn maybe? I mean, would it be so startled it might hit the hot fence or get hurt? I am afraid they wont have enough room to actually RUN (like a deer). thats why I think I need to desensitize them by having us plan our own "this is what hunting season is like" day~

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
But I am wondering how your goats were first exposed to gunshots?
During hunting season. Gunshots started going off, they jumped a few times and ran to the other side of the pen, realized they were still alive and unhurt and they got over it. No mollycoddling, no pampering, no petting, etc. They lived, they got over it. As for how many goats I have - too many to pamper and mollycoddle. LOL

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I was thinking of getting some good buckets and wiring them inside the goat barn and filling them with "treats"
I wouldn't. That could be a very good way to end up with a bunch of sick or dead goats. Goats don't respond well to sudden changes of diet, nor do they need a bunch of treats. Treats are exactly what the name implies - something special given only occasionally. Treats can include anything from animal crackers, leaves they don't usually have access to, raisins, a small handful of grain, vegetables, fruits, most anything goats like can be made into a treat except hay and browse - those are necessary for survival. When we are trimming trees I like to throw the branches in the goat pens and let them strip off the leaves, bark, and small branches. When they are done, I gather up the branches and burn them. My goats also like apple-cinnamon horse treats. Once in a while I will go out and take a pocketful with me to dole out to the girls.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
They will run for their barn or a safe feeling corner in the pen. They don't panic like deer. Just start out shooting a .22 near them. They will figure out that the noise doesn't hurt. Everyone here shoots and my property isn't large. We shoot at rats all the time right outside their pen.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Depends on the hay bag. I strongly recommend you stay away from the knotted type hay bags as goats have been known to hang themselves in those. Personally, I don't like them and don't use them. In the first place I have too many goats for them to be effective, and I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to fill individual hay bags. In the 2nd place, I'm leery of anything that has a hole the goat has to stick his/her head into because they will figure out a way to get stuck - trust me on this. Keyhole feeders carry too much risk of a goat getting blind-sided and breaking their necks. Most horizontal rack type feeders allow for too much waste. I stick to the usual 'V' type hay-rack feeders and just come running when a kid gives a certain kind of cry. They are not perfect, but a 10' feeder allows good access, and they are better than feeding on the ground or in feed tubs. Just my .02.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts