Noisy New Goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by chrisrw, Jun 9, 2010.

1. chrisrw

chrisrw New Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Hello! We became first time goat owners just a few days ago (and are LOVING them!) We bought one Boer and two Nigerian Dwarfs and put them on our acre of land. All three goats seem very happy. They play together and seem to be enjoying their new home.

But one of the Dwarfs (Gretchen) screams all of the time. Not cute goat noises, but 'I'm being killed' type sounds (sounds like a 2 year old human screaming 'AAAAAH!') We're wondering if she's calling out to her old herd, or maybe responding to sounds she's hearing? The acre is within a residential area, so there is the sound of kids playing, ect and she seems to respond to those sounds. She'll scream so much, and so loud that she'll start to lose her voice.

We're concerned about this, as we do have neighbors, and I'm sure the neighbors are not pleased with the level of screaming she does. Does anyone have any ideas of why she'd be so loud, if this is going to last, or is there anything that can be done to help quiet her?

Thanks!
    Chris and Hollie

Attached Files:

2. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

Some goats are just loud. Very very very load, trust me. She may calm down within a few days, but I have no idea how to prevent her screaming.Both your dwarfs are cute! I would love to see your Boer.. ;]

3. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Some goats are screamers, especially when they need something. Being new to your property she might be a little afraid and will calm down some in a few days. Not much you can do and i know it is hard to be patient :laugh:

4. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    When I got my first goat Cookie - she scramed the place down for about a week and then she settled down. Now she just screams when she is in heat.

It can be very annoying - some goats just seem to be screamers.

Good luck.

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We are new to goats as well. One of our first does we brought home was LOUD, she would sit outside and just cry out for a long time. I was worried, because I heard she can be a talker. Well, she did calm down, and only cried out when we'd go in the house.
    We have 6 goats now, and she is very quiet, in fact, they all are, unless they see someone come out of the house, or if they see someone coming with the feed tub, they all get 'excited.'
    So hopefully your girl will quiet down once she settles in.
    And I agree, they are adorable! BTW, we have boers / boer/mixes.

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :laugh: Welcome to the wonderful world of goats. When we started out, we bought a doe (Cookie) and her doeling (Fortune) to be playmates/baby sitters to Mischief my bottle baby. Well.....Fortune was a attention hound. She Maaaaed from the time she got up till she laid down at night. If I came out to take pictures, she would get louder till I turned and took photo's of her. :sigh: "Momma, momma, momma." WHAT!? "Watch this..." (jump, spin, flip off of dog house) She was cute, but DANG! We ended up selling Cookie (escape goat from hell) and Fortune (blabber goat) too the man who ran the auction. Richard has 200+ acres and we see them on the hill when we go.

Gina and now loud mouth bottle baby Ben :doh: (not for sale though) :p

7. chrisrw

chrisrw New Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Thanks for the insight everyone. We're hoping that she settles in soon. Our concern is that she'll be obnoxious enough to the neighbors that we'll have to find her a different home, which is obviously not what we want as we really love all three of them.

The goats have been great, we're so glad we got them...quirky, fun, odd little critters, an absolute ton of fun.

Here is Winnie, our Boer: =)

Attached Files:

8. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    They are very cute. :p Don't be surprised by what they can get into. I recommend a goat play yard. We have a set of old wooden steps that we attached a flat roof off of and nailed it to a standing up pallet. They can run up and down the steps, lounge or jump off of the "roof" or they can get underneath it and take a nap. We put hay under the step part as a feeder. They love it. We are going to get some more steps and some of the big wooden spools to expand the play ground when we move. :laugh: Rotten goats.

An entertained goat is less likely to get out and find something to get into. Boredom is the devil's play ground even with goats. :devilish:

Gina

9. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I usually explain to my neighbors that we have a new pet who is getting used to things and then let it go for a while. That said, I do also get up crazy early and feed my girls so they are quiet! I try to be sensitive to my neighbors feelings.