The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pet Nigerian dwarf was never bred. She was extremely swollen and we realized that she is FULL of milk. I think she has mastitis. I bought medicine at feed store, but everything I read says I need to milk her completely before inserting the medicine. She is so engorged, I don't know if it's possible. Need advice.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
No buck near your property?? Could be a precocious udder...How old is she? is both sides of the udder filled or lopsided...
I would test for mastisis before treating..Just milk a tiny bit out from both sides and test..
Check for fever
how is she acting other wise
By engorged, you mean super tight and shiny udder or is there some give to it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are no other goats nearby. She and her sister are about 4. The whole utter is large and practically touches the ground. I milked her an it was green/gray with some chunks in it.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
YIKS..ok that does sounds like an infection..
I would milk her all the way out and treat with mastisis treatment on her..
Does she have a fever?
is she eating and drinking other wise?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, because they are pets , I'm not set up with an area to milk. Any suggestions on to how best accomplish this? I put her on a leash and had my daughter try to hold her still. I would need hours though. Other than this, she's acting we'll.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Try milking her out while she is at her feed dish..have your daughter steady her why she eats and you milk...seperate her sister so she doesnt have any distractions while you milk her out..
do take her temp just to be sure she doesnt have a fever with this..

·
2,203 Posts
I double the yikes! Sounds like hot mastitis. Surprised she hadn't gone down.

Milk her out completely multiple times a day. I say 4 at a minimum. Keep all that infection out of there. I agree, please send a sample to your large animal vet for a culture. You'll need a sample prior to treatment. Put it in the freezer if its going to be more than 24 hours after collection. Borg halves of the udder??

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Hows she doing??

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
How is she doing? I hope you are able to get this poor girl milked out. Make sure you use a oil with like peppermint or lavender in it, it will help her to let it down.

I had a fried that had a doe do this several times. They finally decided to start her on Penn for 7 days and she finally cleared up and never did it again, but you have to get that out of her first.

Have you taken her temp? Is she eating and drinking?

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Any news on your doe??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts