non electric clippers?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by newtogoats, Sep 4, 2008.

1. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Okay, here goes with my first silly question. I don't think I can swing a barn with electric, so, are there good clippers for goats that aren't plug in (maybe battery), or do I need to bring them up to the house to plug in? Not sure how good that would be in bad weather. Also, how often do you clip; daily, weekly? This would be for small dairy goats, i.e. Nigerians or minis.
    Thanks, Lauren

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you plan on showing your goats, there are many on here that do and I believe they clip them a week before showing, I myself don't show my kids but I do clip them before they deliver their babies....not a whole body clip but a udder and hind quarter clip, it's easier to keep them clean during delivery and much easier to milk a hairless udder. You probably can get a rechargeable clipper that you can use and get an extra batttery so that when the first goes dead you have a back up. I do believe that Wahl and Oster carry the rechargeables.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Well, there are rechargeable (Wahl & others I believe, we have Wahl brand). Like Liz said, purchase an extra battery if you'd like. We only have the one battery but do not clip everyone in the herd at one time, usually. . . . We haven't shown yet but when we do next year, we'll be clipping approximately 1-2 weeks in advance. We have a small "touch-up" trimmer that runs on regular batteries, if we need to do a quick fix on a small body part.

4. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    if you look in jeffers they have the oster power pro that are batterie. you get the clippers,2 batteries & a charger & case. they are the cheapest. i do use the clipmaster for the bodys when going to a show as i have between 6 to 11 that i have to clip the whole body on.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes like the others said if you are going to show you clip before the show and some will clip a "birthing Haircut" which is the hindquarters and udder making it easier for clean up after a birth.

http://www.jefferslivestock.com has the best prices that I have seen --- or check ebay as you can get some good clippers there as well.

I dont have electricity at my barn so I just run an electric cord (one used for powertools) out to where I need it.

6. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I'm so new, I don't even ask questions right. I was thinking of clipping primarily for before milking, so I was wondering if you clipped after each milking for the next day, or what? It's good to know there are so so many battery operated choices. Oh, and do you clip the entire belly and leg area?

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no I dont clip before milking.

The hair grows like anything else so eventually if you are one who likes to milk a non hairy udder then you will need to shave it down again.

but i just wipe the udder. In the winter time you wont want to shave the udder as they need the hair on it to keep the udder warm

8. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I thought I had read that folks clip around the udders to keep stray hairs from getting in the milk. Is just a wash enough?

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I gave my girls a trim before they freshened then touched it up again 8 weeks later when I started weaning kids...it's been 5 months since that touch up and I do a wipe down before milking but still have a few errant hairs in the pail...which is why I strain the milk thru a filter before I set it in the fridge. A wipe down and a brush off works fine...unless you are willing to have a bald goat...you'll still end up with a hair or 2 in the milk pail. A fuzzy udder isn't all that bad to deal with, it just makes things a bit easier. :wink:

10. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I recently purchased some clippers from Jeffers- Wahl cord/cordless rechargeable- Those plus the combs were $78- If you go to Tractor Supply-They are the same price-less shipping and have a carrying case-They are easy to use-snap the comb on and go to it!