The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought this kiko/spanish buck last year to increase the hardiness in my herd. he has been very hardy-- aside from dropping a few pounds as i cut his grain as soon as i bought him. he was extremely timid but has come around well (using the ignore/reward method) but i noticed one of his legs (metacarpal??) was ...thicker than the other...? its always been like that since i've had him. it does not seem to be swollen but i have seen him favor it once before. on further inspection i couldnt find any external signs that would be a cause for immediate concern. he no longer favored it after i checked him out.

my question is, could this be an untreated old break, healed up with higher bone density? i couldnt see the previous owners taking the time to properly correct a break, but its not impossible either. it was not mentioned when i bought him.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,954 Posts
He has a sweet face. What I don't see is calloused spots on his knees? Could be the picture but when I dont see the calloused knees I get concerned about CAE. Goata qith CAE don't like to be on their knees..it hurts, so they don't have much to any callous built. If he is not tested for CAE I would have that done. Knowing will help you know how to treat him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts