Non gmo goat mineral

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by FMW, Sep 27, 2020.

1. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Does anyone have a recommended goat mineral that has all the right stuff in it such as copper, selenium, balance of calcium and phosphorus, etc...

I use New Country Organics and JUST realized that it has no selenium that I could see. I like the copper and balance of calcium/phosphorus. I use the selenium/vit E gel monthly, but I don't think that's enough. Also, how much selenium are they REALLY getting with 4ml once a month? The tube says 1 ppm - I must be reading that wrong or something.

2. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Meat Maker Sweetlix uses GMO ingredients and would prefer to avoid that if possible, especially if there is SOMETHING out there that is organic or non gmo that is still pretty good.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    We try to stay at least non gmo here too. Land of havilah has a herbal blend called herbamins. She uses it mixed with kelp for her minerals. Its very good. I have used Dr Christophers vital herbs with added Brigham tea and pumpkin seed powder. Goats did fantastic on it.
    The LOH herbamins is a similar blend as vitalherbs and cost a bit less and don't need the added two herbs.

Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    https://grassfarmersupplycompany.grazecart.com/store/product/goat-mineral

Only problem with this one is it’s super high in copper, so I’d offer dolomitic lime side-by-side to ensure there’s no overdose.

This is New Country Organics’ mineral on steroids!!

Herbamins is a good addition to any non-gmo mineral simply because the forms of the minerals in organic minerals will be natural and thus absorbed differently. (No fancy stuff). The Herbamins really helps absorption.

5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’m unable to see the nutritional info here, but here’s a “low copper sheep mineral” from the same company. Since their opinion of normal copper was 5000ppm their low copper may not be too bad. I’d opt for the sheep mineral, read the guaranteed analysis when you get it (can’t see it) check the copper, and if too low just supplement with copper boluses. https://grassfarmersupplycompany.grazecart.com/store/product/sheep-guardian

6. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    I couldn't see how much selenium is in there, could you?
    Also, New Country Organics doesn't show any selenium. Do you see any on the label? If you had to choose, which would you pass over, less selenium or less copper?

7. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    The copper does seem to be on the high side, but that could require less or no copper bolusing. I wonder if parasite management is better with this amount of copper?

8. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    What do you use now? Do you buy pumpkin seed powder? Where do you get it? We harvested lots of pumpkins this season. I wonder if I could harvest and dry out the seeds and blend them into a powder?
    I do mix the GI tract with their kelp and all the goats love it. I make the worm balls using the parasite formula.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    The goat mineral I linked to has over 50ppm selenium. Usually sheep minerals are nearly identical to the goat minerals in all areas except for copper so I would expect the mineral has adequate selenium :)

If you’re breeding goats, I’d much prefer higher selenium. I can manage copper issues very well with boluses but selenium gels are difficult.

If you stuck with NCO, you’d probably have to do BoSe along with copper boluses.

I believe at this time @happybleats is using Sweetlix.

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I was using new organics but it wasn't doing a great job long term..I switched to sweet lix meat maker..and that got results I needed..we now are back to using herbs in kelp and goats love them.

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would only use pumpkin seed that pumpkin were grown clean..no chemicals and such. Organic is better

12. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Do you have a link for BoSe? I am worried that there isn't enough selenium and I have a dry goat with a history of losses and I thought I was doing most of the right things! ugh...

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would definitely opt for one of the two minerals I linked to AND @happybleats' recommendation of Herbamins.

Post a photo of the goat in question (including legs and tail from multiple angles) so we can see how severely selenium is needed.

BoSe is a vet prescription.

14. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Here are some photos...I had them in here already, may need to get better angles later. Thanks for everyone's help!

Attached Files:

15. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Here are a few more

Attached Files:

16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Looking okay, don't think BoSe would be a terrible idea but not urgent from what I can see.

17. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Sorry for duplicates, still new to all of this. I also have a picture of the brown one in milk and her baby.

Moers kiko boars and happybleats like this.
  18. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    One more

Attached Files:

19. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    The sheep mineral you mentioned does not seem to have selenium. Which link do you recommend? I definitely will get the herbamins.