Non gmo goat mineral

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by FMW, Sep 27, 2020.

1. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    Should I get the copper one? I see over 50 ppm of selenium.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    The sheep one does have selenium. The guaranteed analysis that they post for their minerals is not correct it's missing most of the ingredients- I'm not sure why. The ingredients have selenium and copper in it.

I would opt for the goat one and offer side by side with dolomitic lime.

3. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    For cost savings, maybe I should get the sweetlix or something similar that people find good till she births and the herbamins, and wait until we are drinking her milk for the non gmo minerals - at least for now. I have spent so much money and need to be a little more reasonable :)

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Very responsible choice. I would go for sweetlix.

Just so you know, the selenium gel you give is not non-gmo - it's hard to avoid it in general when it comes to goats. It's better to focus on natural rather than non-gmo. NO artificial coloring/flavoring is the most important.

5. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    NigerianDwarfOwner707- I did find out about the selenium gel before I had purchased it...sigh... I wish there were more options out there. For daily minerals, I was and am hoping to have non gmo.

So I called New Country Organics. The person there said the goat mineral's selenium level is 25 ppm. It was last tested in July of this year. He couldn't really answer as to why that value isn't included on the label. What do you think now? Can I maintain this mineral, with selenium/vit e twice a month (or more frequent), and the BoSe (?) The only thing that would be different is the BoSe...OH, and the herbamins that I want to add now. I really like LoH!

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    No simply because I’ve never liked or trusted new country Organics on all fronts - copper, zinc, iodine, cobalt, manganese, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, boron.... that stuff is all wrong and/or not included.

But you could stick with NCO and use what @happybleats does with Herbamins etc. along with it and BoSe as needed (the selenium is still low).

7. FMW

FMW Active Member

Jun 30, 2020
    midwest
    NigerianDwarfOwner707 - please ignore my forgetfulness if I've asked you this before, but which loose mineral do you use or combination thereof?

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Currently I'm using Manna Pro. I wanted to see how to turn a sub-par mineral into a good one and what level of supplementation was needed.

I currently give Manna Pro, free choice kelp meal, Redmond goat mineralized salt, and KopSel herbal blend from Fir Meadow LLC, which is pretty much the same as Herbamins.

Since adding the herbal mineral, I haven't had to copper bolus in 6 months in one and 12 months in another (and previously it was 3 months before rough coat started).