The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Astra
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Astra is just over 1 yr old, I noticed a few weeks ago that her udder started to grow however lopsided. Then looks like one side has filled with fluid.
I took her temp and that is in normal range 103.1.

I did post a message about this under another name but lost the log on for that. So anyways. I did get my courage up and try to milk here.

Unfortunately she is just like her Mom and hates to be milked. (we had to shoot mom in May do to her breaking her leg real bad).

When I did manage to get Astra into the sling and rear legs strapped apart I was able to milk some of the fluid out. Looks normal like cream colored and has no chunks of any sort. She seems fine except for the udder being lopsided and me not milking her.
My thinking is that maybe if I do nothing it will go away on its own. Will it or do I have to so something?
I read the post of some of the other with the precocious udder or mastitus but have not clue what they are about. My books really do not address this clearly enough for me to understand or if this is a life threatening issue?
Astra was born last year with her sister about May. the were born into a messy Rainy Spring and ended up getting coccidia. I did my best for them both and managed to keep them alive with various treatments. Abina died in Late Jan one cold night. The damage to her gut was beyond repair and I was just delaying her death. Astra also had the coccidia but not to the extent of Abina. I am sure that Astra also sustained damage to her gut from the parasite since she is rather thin still.
I have no intention of her getting pregnant ever.
My goats are nubians the father is our only buck, and 2 wethers and we use them to eat brush in our woods.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
with a lop sided PU...its best to just leave it alone...sometimes the body absorbs it..Since the liquid didnt look sick, no treatment is needed...milking her will only create a very poor udder and balance..getting her bred would fix the udder and most likely produce a very nice udder..but if you are not looking to breed..then keep and eye on it..check the liquid ever few months if it doesnt shrink ..just to be sure its not getting infected..milk just enough to check it..: )

·
Registered
6 Posts
thank you very much for the reply (I found my main account finally got to log on)
I had no idea what do do about the milk in the udder. I am not familiar with the drying up process as these are my new experiences. The Mom Cadbury we were in the process of drying up when she broke her leg. (I am glad I was visiting my daughter at the time I would have been horribly upset, losing Abina in Jan still brings tears to my eyes). As you can tell ;was not brought up on a farm and to me they are more like pets then livestock. But I have a soft heart for animals even those chickens we also have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
update the udder that had the milk in it, at least is slowly shrinking. She hates when I touch her udders, just like her Mom used to do.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I know a girl that had a doe do the same thing. She was never bred but every year she got a Precocious Udder. Finally at a NPGA show the judge explained what it was and told her to give Penn for 10 days and she did. Never had it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for that suggestion.
Currently the udder has retracted back up where it belongs. The milk has been reabsorbed by her body I would guess.
I will pass your suggestion to my husband who does the injections. I am soooo horrible at it.
Right now I got my hands full by keeping her dad away from her, not that breeding season has started.
I am not interested in any more little ones. Last year was heartbreaking for me. ( I miss Abina who died as a result of severe damage caused by coccidia that both she and Astra got at weaning time. Abina lived about 8 months)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts