Non-registered Nigerians?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kannm, Mar 20, 2009.

1. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Hi,

We have two nigerian does (pure nigi, no papers). They are good-looking and have great personalities. Would it be reasonable to breed them and give milking them a try or is it a bad idea to poliferate non-registered (and assumibly I can never have them or their progeny registered) goats?

Thank you.

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I have the same issue. I will prolly breed them for freezer pets and a bit of milk.

3. keebausch

keebausch New Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I don't see any reason why you shouldn't breed and milk them. There are lots of people out there who do not want registered animals because they cost so much or because the papers don't matter to them. Also, the milk you get out of them can be used for many things, including drinking.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh non registered make great pets and many people are willing to pay you for them. Their milk is just as good as any papered goat usualy. I use to breed non registered ND but I choose to get into registered because I wanted to show. When I was breeding unregistered I basicaly couldnt keep them around, everyone wanted them as soon as they were born. I still currently have one unregistered doe who I am hoping is pregnant :thumb:

Welcome to TGS :wave:

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Stacy do you have ND bucks? if so when I move out I may talk to you bout breedin the littles.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am getting my first this year! :leap: Be happy to offer stud services :thumb:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have 9 goats....6 does and 3 bucks, ONLY 2 of these are registered, and as Stacey said, the milk is just as good from the girls that don't have papers.........besides that, my goats can't read :ROFL:

Seriously though, My cross (pygmy/nigi) kids make as good pets as the nigi purebreds, the PB nigies though do have a step up and can be shown or used to possibly better a different herd.

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I have non-registered Nigerians. This is my first year with kids and they are going like hotcakes. Two have reservations and someone is coming out tomorrow to look at the third and put down a deposit.

:clap:

9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    yay for the boys :leap: . I will most definatly get in touch around the time so you can help me spot their heat cycle we think we got it but..... :shrug:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    haha those stinking heat cycles! Never easy I tell yah.

11. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    kannm: If you need a buckling and are going through WI look me up :wink:

If you want milk you have to have kids, that is just the long and short of it. And the milk it worth it!

12. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Thank you rebelshope, but WI is a bit out of the way :) . We have a nubian for milk, but I wanted to be sure that it would be responsible to breed the nigis (I love them and would like to get milk from them too, but did not want to be part of a problem -- possibly weakening the breed). It sounds like there would be many people who would buy the babies. Also, we would try to breed the ladies with the best possible bucks around so that no matter what, we would be selling good babies.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the only way you would weaken the breed is to breed registered goats that had serious faults. since unregistered can never be registered you would just be breeding for pets which are just plain fun