The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I've had my 4 nubian/boer/nigerian crosd does for about a month now. They're fantastic! All is going well...

...except only 1 will let me anywhere near her. The others will let me within 3 ft and take off. This is a problem because I need to be able to do normal goat caretaking things, like health checks and hoof trimming. Kinda important...

I can get them to come to me with a handful of grain. I can catch them if necessary, but I don't want to set back any progress I've made. If I have to corner and catch them for their own good, I will. But obviously, I'd rather not have to resort to that.

Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Time is key. Spending lots of time with them..food is great motivation. You may set up a small feeding pen that they get used to going in to be fed. Once they are used to you feeding there..begin closing the gate and spend quality time with them. Allow them to sniff your hand or receive a treat with out fear of being grabbed. Day by day they will settle more and more. It's about building trust with them. Once they let you touch...brushing is a great way to build trust that they are enjoying

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thankfully my breeder gave me the two that were the friendliest and had been handled a lot. Can you use their curiosity to help? I know if I move something or take something new in the pasture, they are all over it! They also love being brushed and will push the other out of the way and stand forever, especially with shedding now. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts