Noob questions...CAE... Goat teats taped?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dreamchaser, May 9, 2009.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Okay. More newbie questions. Suppose after I have my does tested they end up having CAE. I have read about breeders "taping" the teats so that the babies cannot nurse. What is that, how does it work, and can you do that when you are expecting your goat to kid so that the baies are unable to nurse when the babies are born?

I am asking this, because if the results are no good, I still want to raise CAE free kids. Either my husband or I are home enough to check on the goats throughout the day, and I can make sure I am home more durring kidding season to make sure that the kids get proper nourishment soon after they are born. Or does this matter because the mom might lick the baby off and they could still get it? I have heard that they can still get CAE through the water, etc. And can sheep spread it?

*shrugs* If I had known when I was getting goats that there would be so much to worry about, I would have done more homework before bringing the ones I have home.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The tape will probably work....but it can come off.....that is the down fall...... :(

I believe that CAE is transferred by milk and maybe blood.....I don't believe it is caught through water ...saliva ect.....

I know it can be very frustrating and nerve racking waiting on test results.... :hug:

I pray that they come up negative... so you won't have to worry about taping..... :pray: :hug:

You can buy teat tape that is breathable ....It's called .......Leaker Seal Teat Tape
    or some people use finger bandages insuring it is covering the orifice....then wrap with a strip of duct tape around the top of the teat and around the middle....of the teat...

3. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I am taping one of my does teat right now to help in weaning the kids off her.
    I been taping her (I used black tape at first all i had, she didnt mind) for a week now and the kids have only succeeded in getting the tape off twice.
    I figure I have to do it for another 2 weeks to finish weaning them.

I know that dont answer you question about CAE but I hope it helps on deciding to tape a mom that is CAE postitive

4. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Like I said, I only want to use it IF the does have CAE when it comes kidding time. Just in case I can't reach the kids in time when they are born. After they are born I would seperate the kids from the does. I have also heard of a thing you put on the does utter to keep kids from nursing?

5. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Like Pam said, CAE is passed on through the milk and amniotic fluids though.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks Amy for mentioning ....amniotic fluids.....I forgot to put that down :doh: :D

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I tried using teat tape several years ago when i was trying to wean my whether off his dam. He or she kept getting it off. But i know other people have had success. I would wait for the test results before you worry too much about it.
    beth

8. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
  9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Amniotic fluids, that is a danger when the moms lick the babies dry, or? I am confused again.

10. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Yes, it is from them licking their kids dry, etc.

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Hmm... Maybe a muzzle and taping the teats... Wow, sounds like a lot of work... Guess a muzzle would not be good. Bleh. Sure hope they don't have anything. *lays head down and smothers self with pillow*

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    If amniotic fluid passes on CAE, how can CAE prevention be practised at all? Surely the babies are floating in amniotic fluid for 5 months inside the mother, plus they are born in a big gloop of amniotic fluid - and usually swallow a good bit of it too... so even if you remove the baby straight after birth, they have still had that contact

LW

13. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    To date the only proven means of CAE transferance is from the colostrum to the kids. The birth fluids and mating do not transfer it, additionally they have not yet seen any evedance that blood is a way to transfer it either.... that all said a goat with CAE is likely to develop pretty painful clinical signs by about age 3-4. Its like a really bad rehumatiod arthritis in the knees. It does a bunch of other stuff to the goats insides as well(just cant remember all of it right now).

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    this is the site it came from...warning: some graphic pics....
    http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/clerk/logan/index.php

In there findings they found a few cases of utero ...but it wasn't documented ....so there is a small chance ....a very small chance....that it can occur.......Contact with the blood of an infected animal can also transmit the disease.............CAE is so misunderstood.... :(

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :thumbup: Thanks Pam, that is a very informational link.

16. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    So really the moral of the story is keep your herd totally CAE free. After reading that I personally would't keep an animal that has it :( I wish they could find a vaccine for it. great link btw.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know ... :( ..it is so misunderstood .....with conflicting outcomes....
    but... there has been good outcomes .... with pulling the kids from mom ....at birth ....you never know......it is a scary disease..... :hug:

I am praying that......Dreamchaser's goats are CAE negitive...... :pray: :hug:

18. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    So I forget. Where do I send the blood samples to again? I have someone I know who could get the samples for me out of them. I suppose I need to buy the vials at the vets office. I really need a run-down of how to do it. I have never had to do anything like this before. I ussually just take the animal to the vet if I need soemthing, but it's too expensive.

Thanks everyone!

19. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    So my goulish question here is is the meat from a CAE goat eadible?