normal behavior?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kids-n-peeps, Sep 4, 2009.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    My 5 month old girls (ND) have been spending a good part of each day mounting each other and smelling each other's rear ends. Prior to two weeks ago, they never displayed this behavior. It is possible, although I'm not positive, that they both went into heat last weekend. I didn't actually see discharge (like I do with my older doe), but they had some dirt & grass stuck on/near the vulva.

So if that's the case, all of this mounting seems fairly normal (I think). Also the more dominant of the two is doing the majority of the mounting, so perhaps it's just settling some hierarchy of dominance?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Totally normal! You'll see even more of this behavior as their heats come regularly......your babies are growing up :hug:

3. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks, Liz. I thought this was all normal, but the four goat books I own do not mention it, so I was beginning to wonder if I was making a mistake in assuming normalcy, lol.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    In my experience, there is nothing "normal" with goats :greengrin:

Books are usually just the authors perspective of normal with their own goats....they are all different with their quirks :wink:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So true... :wink:

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Boy howdy Amen to that!
    When I find stuff stuck to their tails it's usually cause theyve been bred.